Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas

Christmas is on the way. I have been shopping for gifts over the past couple of weeks, so haven't been on the Forum much. On Sunday I decided to start wrapping up the presents that were taking over the guest room bed. It took me a good couple of hours between cutting the paper to the correct shape, then running out of cellotape in the middle of it all and having to go to the shop; finding the matching gift tag to go with the particular Christmas wrap and all the usual carry-on. It's these small things that take up time. I love TK Maxx and could spend half a day in the store. It's where I bought all the stocking fillers and even a present or two. Their delph and crockery is a real bargain, especially as it's the real deal and costs 3 times as much in department stores elsewhere. I will continue on another post in case I'm spammed.

Re: Christmas

Here I am again. Let's hope we fool the SPAM once more with another new name. As I say, I have bought most of the Christmas presents, not without a grumble or two from Dominic about the cost of it all. Now I'm thinking about cooking. (the dreaded word). I would like to make and freeze some Victoria sponges to have when Trea and Peter come home. Very handy to have "some I made earlier". I like to make the stuffing early and freeze it too. Cranberry sauce is another dish I will prepare soon too, as it will keep in the fridge for a good few weeks, even months. Anything I can do to save myself on the "day" is a bonus for me. Soup is another dish to cook and freeze. I may make Cream of Courgette or Potato and Leek as they're fairly light for a starter. The wholesome vegetable broth has to be cooked fresh. It will do for a hot lunch after Christmas, with wheaten bread (bought from the shop). I used to make my own wheaten bread but can't be bothered any more. I may or may not prepare and freeze some sausage rolls and mince pies. Depends on my energy and how I feel at the time. I like preparing for Christmas and doing the decorations. It will be nice to have my daughter and her husband here this year. My grandchildren, apart from Rachel, are all grown up now and we don't see them very much at all. Where do the years go?

Ann
I convinced herself some time ago to stop buying Xmas presents, firstly because at Xmas the shops increase their prices, everyone is running about in a buying frenzy and the majority of presents bought are either unwanted or already owned by those who receive them. After Xmas the shops reduce their prices or have a sale and the goods can be bought in January for much less. Also gift vouchers are for me nonsense as the receiver is bound to buy from where the voucher is bought. My family each receive an envelope with cash both at Xmas and on their birthdays then they can decide themselves what to buy ( or not ). Think back to our youth and the Christmas Clubs ran by local shopkeepers where we began around July to pay weekly into his club. It was economical nonsense to give a businessman an interest free credit and at Christmas he could charge what he wanted as he already had your cash.
donald ( the careful one )

Anastasia !How could anyone Spam a name like that ? I suggest you hold on to that handle I only ever knew one person with that name, Regards Ted

Ted, the thing is that if you post with the same name in consecutive postings it is picked up as Spam. I'm afraid Anastasia won't last.