Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Las Vegas

My stepdaughter and Husband, stepson & wife along with several other friends and two from the UK all in Las Vegas for a week, I have also put them in touch with my Australian cousin who has been living there for the past twenty years he is a pilot with Cathay Pacific Airlines though presently grounded for medical reasons. Las Vegas is a place that is not everybody's cup of tea, personally myself I don't like the place and although I have only been there once that was enough for me, we drove to Vegas from Los Angles one time several years ago and couldn't get out of it fast enough.
For those who like gambling especially on the slot machines then it is paradise and also the night entertainment is not bad. Otherwise to me "Ho Hum". Mauri

Re: Las Vegas

Mauri, I haven't been to Las Vegas but visited a similar resort called Reno many years ago now. I must say I loved the slot machines - I think I would get addicted to these if I had the money to spare and if we lived there.!!!! As I say, once the coins began tumbling out into the plastic cup, I was hooked. For a long time one day I couldn't lose and thought I would end up with the jackpot. As you can see, I didn't, and won nothing in the end. I loved the experience, though.

Ann, Yes we drove through Reno a couple of times on our visit to Las Vegas it is just a smaller version of Las Vegas. I know you can get hooked on the slot machines, I do not know if you remember Blundells amusement arcade in Bow Street at the corner of Grahams Gardens,but during the war I was often in there playing the slots and one time hit the Five Pound jackpot which to me then was a small fortune which I blew on the dodgems etc in Smithfield market Fairground which if I remember correctly was also Blundells. Mauri

Hi Mauri,I Remember that arcade well I think it was Jim Devlin from Conway Street who used to do doorman later he worked in the Picture House Mauri correct me if Im wrong but I think Blundell also had an Amusement Pitch in Bow St in a yard just facing Antrim St there was a guy then worked for Blundell named Jimmy Dornan he was a sort of a gaffer? and he use to drive Blundells Jaguar that must have been the early 50s ! Regards Ted

Hi Ted, Sorry but I do not remember the arcade you are talking about, I was in Lisburn twice on leave in 1950, once before I transferred to the Royal Australian Navy and again in September 1950 when my ship the Australian aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney put into Belfast to load new aircraft, it would be another eight years before I set foot in Ulster again in fact the UK again. Mauri

Sorry Mauri Replied to your item but was Spamed!

Ted, change your name to Teddy and see what happens.

Thanks Ann I will try it but I think I have been extremely lucky so far,I was just wondering is it the contributor or the content that defines who is spammed as the answer to Mauri as far as I'm concerned I can see no reason for it to be pulled in my opinion, but I wont lose any sleep, Regards Ted

Ted, re SPAM. I have noticed that if a place name is mentioned, or a person's name, this can be construed as SPAM. Also, if your use your own name on too many posts, this can be put down as SPAM too. It's very annoying and to date we have been given no reason for it. As I said before, it never happened in the late Jim's time. I miss him very much on the Forum as he always had an input and an interest in what was being discussed. I think he brought everyone on the Forum together as a Forum family. May he rest in peace.