Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In the kitchen

Boring as I know it is to most of you, I will still tell you that last week I made 15 jars of chutney. I think I need my head examined. It all started when my youngest daughter asked me to make some chutney for her to take back to England with her when she visits at Christmas. Chutney is a thing you can't just make in very small amounts. I mean, ideally I would have liked to have made just 2 jars of each, but it really is not possible. It's expensive too, buying all the fruits, veg, vinegars, sugars, plus the different array of spices, etc. etc. Hardly worth it, but as my daughter asked for this, I felt I had to make the effort. SO, last week, the kitchen worktops were covered in jars, waxed paper, all the ingredients for the various chutneys, pots bubbling and I began to wish I had never started. Anyhow, I finished up with plum chutney (it was supposed to be damson but I couldn't find any damsons), beetroot and orange chutney and a spicy pear chutney. I tasted the latter and found it to be quite hot, so I'll not be able to eat this one. Peace reigns in the kitchen once more. I rang Trea and told her I had all the chutneys made. MISTAKE!! She said she would also like me to make her a pavlova, as she can never find one as nice as mine. That was my week. How was yours?

Re: In the kitchen

Ann Next time I'm passing I might tap you for a wee drop of your Chutney as the last one I purchased was very course and disappointing , as for the weekend for my birthday the family cooked a special dinner with Chowder & Paella and of course an assortment of different beverages and we found it a most enjoyable evening ending been sent home in a taxi , and of course the morning brought with it the results of the night before which I'm afraid I am now old enough and I should have known better? but by the time of the big match at Cardiff I was in form once more, and what a match O to have been in that Stadium and to have experienced that live it will be talked about for a long time and Congratulations to the team also the Nr Ireland Team for there incredible win and of course not forgetting Ireland's draw there still in there! So Ann all told it was one hell of a weekend all round Who is it told us ( THERE WOULD BE DAYS LIKE THIS )Bring them on we can do with them Regards Ted

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_mango_chutney/

Ann here is a recipe for a smaller amount
donald

When Mangos are too expensive I use a mixture of them and apples
donald

Donald, thank you for the info on chutney but you're too late now. I never want to see another jar of chutney, nor will I ever tackle that task for a good while to come. They're all now stored in the garage where it's cold, and will be ready to eat around Christmas time.

Ted, I will gladly give you some of my chutneys. I have made far too much as usual. The thing is that Dominic nor any of my sons will touch chutney so I end up giving most of it away anyhow. Ted, it will not be ready for eating until Christmas, EXCEPT the spicy pear one which will be ready to eat in November. Call any time, but ring first in case we're out. Glad to heaar you had a big birthday bash AND a big sore head next day.

ACH God love you Ann may your Given hand never weither !
Regards Ted

Ted, I don't know if you mean 'wither' or 'weather' re my hand. BUT, I have to say that my hands are definitely withering AND weathering. I have arthritic bumps on my forefingers (I blame typing but that's only an excuse), now there's one painful bump coming through on my middle finger. Hands give away age as much as anything else and mine are definitely worn looking. I have my mother's hands - big and squat - a worker's hand. Her wedding ring, which I wear with my own, fits my finger perfectly. When I look at my hands I see my mother's hands. She was always cooking too - we both had the hands for it. "You need hands" - Max Bygraves.

Donald, do you make your own chutney too? If so, you need your head examined too. Don't you think it's time-consuming and expensive? Easier to buy a jar in the shops, especially now that they sell home-made. I suppose, though, there's satisfaction in tasting your own produce. Have to say that after going to all the trouble of making mine. However, NEVER AGAIN is what I'm thinking.

spam spam spam
david

Ann & all,

Rachael Allen's Chutney is superb also any of her products which tesco supply are A1.

Avonmore Custard is a favourite too.

Pat

Ann
it is not always available here. I have to send to a English shop in the North for such articles. Last week I ordered HP sauce, 4 normal and 3 others and a large tub of Mince for herself to make mince pies at Xmas. But it is still cheaper than paying €70 for an extra suitcase when we fly to norniron for a holiday compared to €5 for postage. We use a lot of Malt vinegar also for pickling beetroot and potting herrings. Shopping and cooking are not a burden to me, I take pleasure from it and bargain hunting. When herself gets a bit bossy I tell her to watch out as a few ladies expressed interest in me and want to take a test drive! I learned when we came here 46 years ago, or had to as when herself was ill or in hospital I had to cook for the daughters who were very young. Now they are approaching 50, which I find hard to believe.

donald ( the housekeeper and handyman )

Ann It should have been wither ( I must try harder) and regarding your hands your very hard on yourself , I don't think there's a morning that I don't wake without a pain somewhere and my Mothers response always comes back to me when I complained about a pain, Son she replied ( It's Far from your **** that you don't have to sit on it ) compassion just flowed from her ! now I just go for a swim and then the sauna were you listen to the pains and aches and forthcoming appointments of the others around and you realize you aren't to bad, Ann I was just wondering was there any charms for your complaint ? remember you use to get the the rub of a relic or something or someone made up a bottle for you to take , anyhow I will keep you in mind the next candle I light ! you can give me the money later, Regards Ted

may your giving hand never close, was always how i remember that one Ted

May yir givin han niver fail an may the smoke aff poverty niver go up yir chimney!
donald

Donald, the 'David' bit confused me for a minute. I thought we had gained a new member to the Forum. Dominic has no interest in cooking at all. He loves eating anything and everything I make (although not chutney) but would rather be watching a football match. He could make a breakfast, if needed. He does, indeed, make our porridge every morning. He could also make a couple of sandwiches as long as they're cooked meats. He hasn't a clue how to make a tomato sandwich (I told you all about this before) never mind egg and onion. As for dinners, his attempts would depress you. You would starve. He only ever attempted dinners after I had my hip replacement and I tell you my stomach thought my throat was cut by the time he served it up. It's a good way to aid recovery - starvation.!!! In his favour, he's a good gardener.

Ann
At lunch time we had home made tomato soup ( a la Don ) with garlic and Crème de Fresh and we just finished a "Flammkuchen" that is a Pizza type of flat cake with cheese and hacked ham which is eaten in the wine growing areas of the Vaterland. This was accompanied by a large oven baked Camembert cheese, a few olives and vine leaves filled with mince. I tried my Mango Chutney but it was a little too salty and vinegar sour. My grandfather called such things " Foreign Muck"! We are getting rid of all the bargains I buy at Lidl, they have Iberian week at the minute and I cannot resist a bargain. We will have dates rolled in bacon tomorrow fried and some vacuum packed finely cut air cured ham. More "Foreign Muck"! Sunday is Harvest Thanksgiving and I have 2 deep frozen Ducks and vacuum packed red cabbage in case the Grandkids ring up and say they are coming
donald

Donald I envy your ability to eat what you like. I have
spent a most miserable weekend with IBS. All because I had a slice of Wheaten bread. Sometimes I get away with it and sometimes I do not. That's why I haven,t been on. I suppose others will get a chance to talk.

Ann I sympathise with you. I take a Zantac every time I get the slightest pain and stop it before it gets bad

Thanks liz