Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MEMORIES

I have just returned from a walk with Tess. It's a beautiful, autumn afternoon and we dandered round the roads. The leaves are lying on the pavement - red, brown and yellow - and Tess loves walking and running through them. As she disturbed the leaves, a familiar scent arose; at the same time I detected the smell of woodsmoke from somewhere. I was immediately brought back to my childhood. I remembered coming home from school - I don't know if it was primary school or the Tech - but it must have been at this time of year because that was the scent I remembered from all those years ago. It reminded me of coming into the house and catching the aroma of warm food as soon as I entered the hall. For some reason, my mother always had a plate of hot food ready and in the oven for me. I remember the potatoes especially, mashed but with a golden brown skin on top. When I broke the skin with my fork, the hot steam rose and entered my nostrils. I don't know what accompanied the potatoes, but they are the thing I remember most from those daytime meals. I'm sure there were sausages, mince, veg roll or maybe a piece of stewed steak and onions, not all at once, but one of these pieces of meat with the meal. This was all that was affordable at that time with a family of 6 children. I'm sure everyone else was the same, maybe not even as fortunate. As I thought of these things, I wished that I was back at school again, walking home to the house where there would be warmth, safety, love and security. Bygone days, never to return. It's funny what memories a walk can bring.

Re: MEMORIES

Ann
I talk almost every night ( in my dreams ) with childhood and youth acquaintances and friends, Hilden mill, Hilden school and Hilden village appear almost every night. Time, to me is disappearing unbelievably quickly , someone once said " life is comparable to a roll of toilet paper = the nearer it gets to the end the quicker it goes"! Yesterday when clearing out old documents herself and I found a photo of Hilden school roll book class which Joe Sheridan sent me a few years ago. I would like to know how many still are alive today.
donald