Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fond Memories

Frances and I were were watching Judge Judy at supper time this evening. The Judge was entertaining a case between the plaintiff who had suffered a loss of livestock by rampaging dogs and the dog owner, who was blaming it on coyotes.
It reminded me of the times we were camping at Lake Cahuilla and I mentioned this to Frances and asked if she remembered those days. She said she well remembered them.
Lake Cahuilla is a small lake, about two miles around, and located just south of La Quinta California, which in turn, is located just SE of Palm Springs. It has a Government campsite which overlooks the lake and is a most tranquil spot. The camp fees were around $16.00 a night, which included water and electric. The only disadvantage was you had to dump your " black " water sewage, and your " grey " water, shower and sink water in a disposal about 100 yards away.
We really enjoyed our annual 2 or 3 three weeks camping there, "roughing it " we jokingly called it.
Sometimes at night we heard a strange, to us, sound which started with " Yip Yip " then joined by more " Yip Yips " until the night was full of constant yipping. We found out that it was made by the local coyotes and they were trying to entice domesticated dogs out into the night, where they would be set upon by these wild canines and devoured outright.
The lake itself had many moods. I recall one morning, after enduring a night of the Santa Anna winds, looking for our missing doormat, which I found affixed to a perimeter fence about 200 yards away from out motor home.
We have long since sold our RV, but we will never forget those wonderful days.

Forty

Re: Fond Memories

Fortycoats,

Nice to hear from you again, an R.V. is something I would have liked to travel in around Canada, the gypsy in all of us calls us to see the World. It must have been uplifting to see the changing scenery of the countryside, you & Frances got a lot from life.

Of course life is at our back door if we look for it, this morning is mild, a clear sky, a weak sun, cows grazing sleepily, birds fluttering in the bushes, Finn lying on a mat gazing at the scene, the flowers are still in bloom, so although an RV is a dream, I can enjoy the October mellowness & changing colours, just beginning.

Memories of the Wallace Park, the Castle Gardens, the Lagan banks, Lisburn, when it was a small town where we all knew each other & family histories could be recalled by a older relative at an instant.

Who could imagine we would be sitting here typing memories in 2015.? Have a pleasant day & Happy Memories always.

Pat

Re: Fond Memories

Fortycoats, great to hear from you again and know that you're well. Regarding Judge Judge, I love watching her show. We over here are about 12 years behind. I know the judge is still practising. I would love to see what she looks like now, or is she just the same. I think she's great, extremely intelligent and quick with her put-downs. I've looked up her houses on the internet and they are lovely. I've read her books too. She does get away with a lot, but then it IS television.