Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hilden School

Former lady teacher from Hilden School Margaret Hawthorne and Ann Ferguson who is a former pupil and governor are looking for information about the school.They would hope to get photographs and if they get enough information they will write a book. Ann can be contacted at 7 east down view or Margaret Hawthorne at 12 Fairview Pk Dunmurry or email margarethawthorne@gmail.com
Anne, Pat and Donald get writing !!! Hope this helps Margaret

PS This is from a letter in Belfast Telegraph today

Re: Hilden School

What do they want to know?
donald

All sorts of memories from the school They are inviting former teaching staff ancillary staff as well as pupils to provide memories of their time at Hilden school If they get enough material they will publish a book.
Margaret

My earliest memory of Hilden school is when I started there in 1949 , the classroom on the left was then a kitchen where the girls were taught cookery, they left the freshly baked cakes on the outside windowsill to cool. Later they went once a week to Lisburn Tech to attend cookery classes. The ovens were wood fired. Pupils being prepared for First Communion were taught in the cloakroom at the girls entrance either by Miss Skannell or Mr Woodende. The junior infants class , boys and girls used the toilets together in the girls playground, the boys were only allowed to use the first two. The air raid shelters in the playgrounds were still standing in the 50s and the gates and railings which were removed to be melted down to assist the war effort were only replaced around the middle 50s.
donald

Margaret, good luck with the forthcoming book. As you know, neither Pat nor I attended Hilden School so would have no input in that area. All of us supposedly have a book inside us. I certainly have, but whether anyone else would be interested is another matter. It's finding the time, but I suppose the first step is getting organised. Food for thought!!

Anne, The author is not this Margaret I just read the article in the paper and passed it on. The lady is Margaret Hawthorne. I though Pat and you went to Hilden just from the Lisburn Forum. Margaret

Margaret,

I am surprised you didn't recognise Convent School girls.

Pat

The only thing that I remember about Hilden School is riding past it on my Post Office bike during the 2nd world war, what I don't understand is what is so special about it compared to some of the other old Lisburn schools like "The Free", "Nickolsons","Brownlee","William Foote" "Sloan Street", I didn`t include the "Central" as it is a relatively new school compared to the others "Oh" and how about the "Intermediate" and "Friends" Just wondering. Mauri

Before Hilden school ( then called National ) was opened in 1911, there was no other Primary school in the area which offered communal education to pupils from both Religions and played a major part in bringing children from both religions to accept each other
donald

Mauri, I fully agree with Donald's comments about Hilden School. Although not a pupil myself, my 4 brothers attended so I gained knowledge of the school through them. As Donald says, long before its time, Hilden School welcomed all or no denominations. However, it was mostly comprised of Protestants and Catholics. Neither religious belief lost out because the head master, Mr Woodende, made absolutely sure that the priest was as welcome as the minister and vice versa. In fact, before the Catholic children made their First Communion or Confirmation, Mr Woodende questioned them on their Catechism and woe betide any pupil who didn't get the questions right. It was a remarkable school which turned out many scholars. As you know, Pat and I attended the Convent School and I wouldn't have had it any other way, because it was a good school too in every way. However, in those days, it only accepted girls. SO, Mauri, as you see, Hilden School was a one-off.

Margaret, I can see how you made the mistake. Our 4 brothers attended Hilden School and we heard everything from them. However, we did play in Hilden Park and attended the EMB Hall so I suppose that's how you got the impression you did.

Mauri, if the schools you mention were so special,and I'm sure they were to those who attended them, why don't some of the past pupils come on and extol their virtues (or lack of them).. We don't know what any school is like unless someone comes on and tells us about it. Hilden is the most talked about school because the past pupils talk of their memories from that time. Where are the pupils from all the other schools in the town? Surely they must have yarns to tell from their schooldays. We're all ears.

Ann
I remember Father McNamara who examined us on or knowledge of Catechism once or twice a year . We were dressed by our parents in our "Sunday best"! on that day. We were always envious of those who were not Catholic as they had the day free and we had to go to school. Another feared visitor was Mr McMinn the truant officer who came occasionally and examined the roll books. Woe on those who had a lot of absence to their name. The school photographer came yearly and we were photographed in the school yard. Then our parents could buy the photos. I still have a copy of one today. The Punch and Judy show was another welcomed attraction.
donald

Ann, I didn`t mean to give the impression that the schools I mentioned were special as obviously they were not. I never knew or had forgotten that Hilden School accepted pupils off both faiths which I think is wonderfull, if only that had been the normal practice in Northern Ireland there wouldnt have been the problems and loss of lives that happened over the thirty odd years of the troubles. I could never understand the bitterness that so many people of both sides had towards each other.

I remember meeting up one time with an old friend in Bow Steet who I had not seen in years, I was on my way to the Corner House Pub so invited him to join me, he refused because it was owned by two RCs from Belfast. as I had to meet someone there we parted company but have always thought what a stupid and narrow minded attitude and no wonder there were religous problems in Northern Ireland. Incidently both my Grandparents on my Mothers side were of different faiths and both came from the South but moved North way back in 1907. Mauri

On Coronation Day all the pupils were given a commemoration present, the young pupils a tin box full of Smarties, the older ones a coin or medal with Elisabeth´s head. We were marched to the Wallace Park where the Celebrations took place and fun and games were had by all.
donald