Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warm September

September has been a lovely month for weather. Yesterday was sunny and warm. We drove to Drumbeg, parked the car, and walked down the towpath. There were quite a lot of people out walking and cyclists too (nuisance). The towpath around Drumbeg is quite narrow, not much room for walkers and cyclists, but that was only for a short distance. The rest of the time it was ok. We enjoyed the walk, the sun and the wildflowers growing along the banks. Tess had a great time, although I kept her on a long lead, sniffing the new smells and exploring the grasses. Today is lovely too, a cloudless blue sky, and the promise of fine weather for the rest of the week. We'll make the most of it.

Re: Warm September

ann,
we did quite a lot of walking down the line as well in all directions, and did that drumbeg walk. had a look at the tall bridge and walked the little park there. had a good look around drumbeg church [supposed to be haunted] but the weather then was quite cold and rain not far away. but enjoyed it all

Hi all,

September / October are my favourite months, today is promising to be warm (19degrees) & sunny, mist this morning early. cool, a slight grass frost, a golden sunrise, a typical October morning.

Flowers are in second bloom, good to be alive & well. Hope you are too.

Pat

Tom, good to hear from you. Unfortunately, when you were here, the weather was very bad indeed and that makes or mars the holiday to an extent. It's good to put a face now to the anonymous person you were before we met. I'm glad you both arrived back safe and sound. Tell us all your news from across the miles since you went home.

Another gorgeous warm September day. A cloudless blue sky and everything so still and peaceful. The trees at the back of our house are beginning to turn yellow, just a few of them. The remainder are still green. Our roses are showing a second time - yellow, pink, red and white. I deadheaded them as they finished blossoming and that probably helped. Our window baskets are still in full bloom, except for one which we will take down today. In the garden the gladioli are standing tall - pink, purple and white. The winter pansies, which I planted in tubs, are starting to bloom; the fuschia is radiant with its spectacular show of tiny red bells, dancing in the breeze, and the African lily, blue/lilac colour, is a nice contrast to the reds and pinks. Sounds like a composition from schooldays. Didn't mean it to be, just random thoughts.

ann,
it was great to meet you in person, and donald and indeed everyone, dominic,phyllis , leo and marite. really enjoyed it, could have stayed there all day as well. we saw lots there, but near the end lyn had an episode of asthma, so spent an afternoon at a and e at lagan valley hospital, maybe the weather . but we got on the plane which was a worry? in case it wasn't allowed. but the journey back was good, but oh soooo long. we left sprucefield on a bus to dublin airport at 4 0clock. got there at six. plane was at ten oclock. 8 houre to dubai, 2 hours there, then 14 hours to brisbane then i.5 hour in train to gold coast, so long journey, but the sun was shining here, and weather still beautiful. i really enjoyed seeing everything again, people were lovely, couldn't do enough for you and doing the photos now, i keep getting home-sick again lyn is in melbourne enjoying her house and rest of her family,and old teacher friends i'll be there later, but have a fair bit of work to do around this place. and it's sunny and warm. all the best tom

Tom,

I admire anyone who can do those long plane journeys, my daughter is in Vancouver visiting her daughter there & she travelled from Shannon/London then a 4 hour wait for a plane to Dubai (I think) then another wait for one to Vancouver. Luckily she has a flight back Vancouver /London/Shannon.

I often wonder now will we ever make it to Canada again.? Travel while you can, the years creep up so quickly.

Sorry I missed the reunion in Lisburn, glowing reports of it. Take it easy with the work now, plenty of time in the future, relax.

Pat

Tom, Glad to hear you and the wife made it home safely and that you had a good vacation. Yes thats a long flight from London but not as long as it used to be, way back before the jets came out I remember my Uncle arriving in Adelaide this was in 1952 and it had taken him three days from London. Only wish that we had been able to go over to Lisburn when you and your wife were there but Joy still reluctant to fly anywhere the way she is so am beginning to think our travelling days are over.
Had a call from my Australian cousin who lives in Las Vegas the other night he is a pilot with Cathay Pacific Airlines but grounded at the moment for medical reasons, as you can guess he has a strong Australian accent which really stands out in North America.
Going back to flying out to Aussie the first time that I went back my wife and I flew to London stayed overnight then took off the next day more or less the same route that you took except we were not on the ground that long in Kuwait and again in Singapore though by the time we arrived in Sydney then on to Adelaide I could have slept for a week

Take Care. Mauri

Tom, I trust Lyn is better by now. Sorry to hear that she had to spend some time at LVH, but at least she appears to be OK now. Give her our best wishes.

ann
thank you for the query about lyn's health, she's 100 percent now, going to tennis and bridge and meeting her old mates in melbourne best wishes tom

Tom, 'tennis' and 'bridge'. I can play neither. BUT, I can dance!!!!!!