Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have we been here before?

I used a word this morning which brouht to mind a couple of other words my mother used almost every day and which we don't hear any more. I still use one of these words and that is 'GLAR'. To me it means a sticky deposit and that is the way my mother interpreted it too. Whether this is the dictionary definition I must find out. The other word is 'STOUR'. This was used in combination with dirt, as 'STOUR AND DIRT'. Another word was 'POUSE' - referring to dust and cobwebs. And finally, 'SHUCK'. I think this should be spelt 'SHEOUGH' but, again, I'll have to look this up on Google. We may have been here on an earlier posting but can anyone else remember old expressions which we very rarely use now.?

Re: Have we been here before?

Ann
"Mocki" meant hot and clammy, "Throng" was when the town centre was crowded,"Coorse" weather meant wet and windy.
donald

Re: Have we been here before?

Donald, we still say "mockey" when there is heat without sun. My granny used to say "You're starving, child" when she felt anyone's cold hands. She also referrred to a grumpy person as a "thra". Today is sunny with some showers. I'm planting the winter pansies and a new rose which arrived - rumba. (in between the showers). Now I've ordered some lovely white Christmas roses for planting in tubs for the front door at Christmas time. I've also ordered my Christmas cards. Might as well get in early.