Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sir William McIlroy from Hilden

http://www.hidden-gems.eu/NIFHS%20Lisburn%20mcilroy.pdf

This may interest some, it´s a report about a Hilden man William McIlroy, after doing some research I´m almost sure Hilden Cottage was the house facing the wall in Grand Street where past where the Hilden Brewery now is, once occupied by the Long family.
donald

Re: Sir William McIlroy from Hilden

donald

http://www.hidden-gems.eu/NIFHS%20Lisburn%20mcilroy.pdf

This may interest some, it´s a report about a Hilden man William McIlroy, after doing some research I´m almost sure Hilden Cottage was the house facing the wall in Grand Street where past where the Hilden Brewery now is, once occupied by the Long family.

donald

Apparently this did not interest anyone, when a philanthropist such as McIlroy did so much for Lisburn and it´s citizens, especially in the time when poverty and unemployment were at it´s peak and Barbours opened an office in Bow street for locals to apply for emigration to USA to work in their factory there. Lowroader and a few others may remember the family.
donald

Donald, your input about the McIlroy family would be of interest to me. However, I can't be bothered looking up the www site and that's the only reason I haven't made a comment. I well remember Billy Long's house as it was visible from our house in Lawnmount. I also remember Rosemary and Christopher, but very vaguely. It's a pity they knocked that lovely house down but then the new develoopment took over and I suppose they had no option.

Donald

How are the beer supplies holding up in Munich with the arrival of the refugees and economic migrants?

Hildenboy
Thank goodness they are holding out, the Munich breweries turn out about 5,000,000 hector litres yearly . The Paulaner Brewery has sold it´s property in Munich centre and moved to our area on the outskirts . They must remain within the city boundaries otherwise they cannot be represented at the Oktoberfest. King Ludwig, the founder of the Oktoberfest whose ancestors who own a brewery are not permitted to sell their beer there.
The refugee problem is getting out of hand, a UK newspaper report recently wrote that less than 20% of those who make application for citizenship turn out to be non Serbians. When I see photos of the mothers with small children and infants struggling to get aboard buses and having fool parcels thrown at them like in the Zoo it is extremely heart-rending.

donald

In my last post I should have written Syrian refugees not Serbian. I wrote this with a Nome De Plum as I was spammed

Donald,

Knew Mc Ilroy's house well, as we were sent, as children, to buy the fruit & vegetables from their garden. His sister, with whom he lived, always dug them for us & trimmed the leaves off, in the big back kitchen. Their orchard was progged regularly.

Never saw Sir William in the house or around. He was made a Papal Count for his donations to the Church. The white marble side altar on the "Women's side" was donated by him, his name was on it.

He was a Director of Hilden Mill & provided the yearly outing to the seaside for the Low Road children in the summer.

The Mc Ilroys never got the thanks they deserve, they worked quietly & behind the scenes so we are inclined to forget what we owe them.

Pat

Pat
I remember the house but only occupied by the Long family, there were chestnut trees growing opposite in the field behind the wall where housing trust houses were later built. A classmate from the Lowroad threw a piece of slate to try and knock some chestnuts down and the slate hit a girl walking up Grand Street and caused a head injury. Mr Woodende punished him by caning him in each classroom in front of the pupils, a punishment which I found extremely hard and still remember to this day.
donald

"The orchard was progged regularly". I was guilty of this. As a young girl I imagined the apples, pears and plums were bigger than any fruit I had ever seen. (No offence to the gay community).

Ann,

We didn't know about such inferences then, fruit was just that, no hidden meanings. What is the World coming to when the language is changed to suit the new styles of living.?

Pat

Pat, I thought it was a good joke (and I reiterate, no offence to the gay communithy). I'm sure they would enjoy it too, because they usually have a good sense of humour. Any that I know anyhow.