Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Social Dances

How many of you remember the Social Dances that used to be pretty common around Lisburn and surrounding areas. I think the two most popular halls where these were held were the Hall in Linenhall Street and the one on the Longstone beside Topping's old pub and now I can't think of the name of them ?. I only went to a couple of them when I was a green kid of 17 and on embarkation leave but can still hear the call, "Now take your partners for the "Gay Gordens" etc ??? Mauri

Re: Social Dances

Just remembered the name of the building where the socials were held on the Longstone was the Band Hut, and in Linenhall Street was L something, Dabbler will know of course as he lived across the street from it. Mauri

Mauri
In Saint Joseph's - The Big Hall, next to the chapel, I learned the basic steps of Irish Dancing, as well as the Saint Bernard's Waltz.
The Wee Hall - the Hibernian Hall, was in Linenhall Street. Both dancehalls were connected to the Catholic Church.
The Orange Halll and the British Legion were the haunts of the Teddy Boys, and were somewhat more sophisticated.

The social dances were before my time. But the words: Teddy boys, Orange Hall and sophisticated leave me bewitched bothered and bewildered.

Having danced in the Legion the Orange Hall and thrown out of the Black Hall at pond park and of course danced in the Big Hall Sophisticated ?I must have missed it that night !Regards Ted

Spam what is Spam? my replies are all Spammed,!"""""""""""

Try again one more time, as they used to say at the dances.!

The Barn at Hilden where the Brewery is now was the scene of the best nights for old & young in the Low Road & further afield.

Artie Bowman & friends played their hearts out all night, 2.00a.m. was the hometime, reluctantly we left the Barn.

Whoever danced the last dance with you left your home so we made sure we picked our partner right. All innocence & light then, no hanky-panky.

The song "I'll have the last dance with you" reminds me of those happy days so so long long ago, but fresh in memory.

Pat

Hildenboy

Are you sure you have the right meaning of 'sophisticated'?

In my fading memory, the Catholic dances were a bit like barn dances, simplistic in fashion and performance, The lairs of the Teddy Boys, in contrast, were imitations of the ballroom in Blackpool, where the elegantly attired Edwardian imitators strutted like peacocks, and were not hesitant to compete in a Best Dressed display.

I never really had much oppertunity to frequent the dance scene in Lisburn being away so much, I do remember one occasion in 1950 when my ship the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney came into Belfast to pick up new aircraft, I was given five days leave so although my family was no longer in Lisburn I came up to the town and stayed with friends and then went out on the town and being a Saturday soon was in the Robin's Nest and then on to the Orange Hall for the dance, during an interval an auction was held for some Apple Pies and Cream Cakes, a couple of Army guys probably from Thieval Barracks made some high bids so as I was in uniform decided to out bid them in which I was successful so finished up with I don't know how many apple pies and cakes, luckly I met some one else who was going my way and give me a hand to carry them to my friends house.
Around about eleven years later I again went to the Saturday night dance at the Orange Hall but not knowing a soul there left early and wandered back to my Aunt"s place as she had returned from Australia. Mauri

Pat I never danced in the barn but your comments brings back memories of dances in the Dining Rooms ! Great Memories

I never attended any social dances, as such. As I said before, my dancing was done exclusively at Sammy Osborne's School of Dancing, 69 High Street, in the Golden Rooms. There was even a doorman, dressed in a uniform with gold epaulets on his shoulders - his name was Tommy. I'm sure the social dances would have been great - alas, I was not allowed to go there. What my mother said was law. I wonder did I miss much?

Ann / Ted
I remember as a boy the social dances in the dining room in Hilden, we used to climb up upon the outside window stool and watch the antics. "Scout" Kingsberry used to tap dance and Hildenboy´s grandfather was often called upon to perform, he would extinguish his cigarette, doff his cap and walk to the front , wait until he had the attention of all to give a rendering of "Mother McCree.
donald

Donald

Thank you for that memory of my maternal grandfather as I have not thought of him for a while. He was quite a character. After a few bottles of stout he either wanted to sing or fight but usually it was the singing that won out. He also loved to have a debate. My mother, God rest her, said he would "argue a black crow was white just for the hell of it." Whenever the Jehovah Witnesses called to the door he would invite them in and they would go at it hammer and tongs about the Bible but always parting on the best of terms agreeing to disagree.

I was allowed to go to the rugby club dance in the orange hall, my Granny asked my Dad and I was able to go We were not allowed to jive as young ladies did not jive. How I wish I had learned. I had a great night but disgrace my Dad was there at the end of the night to take me home (walking) I was mortified !!!

Margaret, you sound as if you were well supervised too (like myself). I can empathise with you. Sure, it was for our good.!!!!!!!!