Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Bands

Tom's mention of Christ Church CLB drum and bugle band brought back memories of other bands that used to exist in Lisburn, I wonder how many are left now, below are the ones that I remember maybe some of our contributors can add to it.

Lisburn Silver Band {Leslie Corkin conductor

Blaris Accordian Band

Lisburn Flute Band

Lisburn Pipe Band

Boy's Brigade Drum & Bugle Band ( Railway Street]
Presbyterian Church
CLB Drum & Bugle Band {Christ Church}

Ballinderry Pipe Band

Ballymacash Pipe Band

Mauri

Re: Lisburn Bands

Mauri my grandfather John Allen was in lisburn silver amongst other brass and silver bands.In his early days he was all Ireland cornet champion 7 years running in the twenties.He took up conducting in his latter years and was conductor of Blaris.

Hi all,

I love brass bands, especially playing Marches, as we always went to the Army Tattoos in Warrensfield & Thiepval Barracks & the tunes stayed with me.

At the Tech. later some of those same marches were used for us to type to, for instance, Blaze Away or Old Commrades.

Funny the things you remember & the memories they recall.

Pat

I loved listening to the brass bands at the Thiepval Barracks as a child. As you say, Pat, the tunes remain and remind us of earlier days. We learned to type to "Rule Brittania" and well dare anyone not keep in time with the music.