Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Art

I have just returned from a short break in Liverpool which has been transformed following it's hosting of City of culture. The old dock areas that Mauri no doubt knows well is now awash with tourists and museums. I went with my wife to visit the Liverpool Tate Gallery where there is an exhibition on the work of Jackson Pollock. Philistine that I am I reared up at the £11 entrance fee and refused to pay. Herself forged ahead while I nursed an Americano coffee in the Café while looking at Pollock's work in a catalogue that someone had left behind. Pretty colours evolved into daring black and white swirls, splashes and drips onto canvas. I don't get it. Give me a reclining Venus of Urbino anytime

Re: Art

Hey Hildenboy good to hear from you even though you sounded realy ****** of at the entrance fee?? No I don't know Liverpool that well though thats where I completed my entrance exam and medical for the Royal Navy and sailed out of there on the Troopship Orbita way back in 1947, was also in there a couple of times on the Oil Tanker "San Velino" on our way to the Manchester Ship Canal, I got most of my ships in the Merchant Navy in Southampton, again Great to hear from you. Mauri

Hildenboy

You should have taken a visit to the Cosmopolitan RC Cathedral, commonly known as The Wigwam. I was not expecting much, but as I entered the door, I said"Wow!

The stained glass from the ceiling down the walls was stunning. Modern of course, but he colours were lit up by the sky. Paintings, drawings and such were wonderful and the seats build round almost in a circle. We stayed for an hour it was so interesting

We went on a U3A bus tour and walked all over the city, being amazed at the old and the new. I had always thought of Liverpool as a beaten up old place, and was very impressed. We didn't have time to 'go across the Mersey' but were pleased to have seen the place and of course all the Beatles memorabalia.

Liz

Like you I was wowed by the visual impact of the "wigwam" when I visited. As piece of modernist architecture it certainly does work. I sat and was enthralled by the changing colours as the sun rotated through the stained glass. Well worth a decko and there is no entrance fee!

Hi all,

Visit Lisburn Chapel, as we call it, since the refurnishment & changing lighting, it is beautiful.

The only thing that is out of place is a large modern wooden & glass crucifix hanging where the silver santuary lamp was, it is so out of context with the beautiful marble sculpture of the altar.

As Oscar Wilde said "It is through Art & through Art only that we can realise our perfection."

Pat

Hildenboy, I always enjoy your posts. You have a way with words, which I enjoy and appreciate in these days of mobile phone lingo. I had to laugh at your use of the word 'decko'. I had completely forgotten about it as another way of saying "having a look". Keep on posting.