Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exiles Forum. R.I.P.

I,ve been hoping this site would pick up again but unfortunately not. The forum, I,m afraid has reached the "end of it´s tether "! to quote an old Lisburian expression. Such a pity as we had lots of "craic" for many years.
donald

Re: Exiles Forum. R.I.P.

Donald I suppose its like the Elephant in the room someone had to confirm it and it happens to be you ,I am aware my contribution was minimal and recently some days there was no input from anyone and I'm afraid I have no suggestions as to how to resurrect it can you or another scribe suggest an alternative,Jim put so much into it I would be very sad at is demise ! Regards Ted

Ted, Whats all this Bull**** about the Forum being dead, its dead only if we let it be, sure there is a lull in condtributions but thats all only normal people have other interests and responibilities which take up time and of course two of our more regular condtributors Pat & Ann are enjoying themselves in Spain and so will be out of touch unless they have taken Ipads with them, my stepdaughter and her husband now in their condo in Mexico for a month but my wife in touch on her Ipad these modern communications are really something else. Anywayl never say die and I am sure new contributions will soon be pouring in. Mauri

responces to posts seems to be a problem i think

I hope you are right Mauri bring them on !

Come on folks, lets have your contributions no matter how small, silly, stupid or otherwise.

Where is Hildenboy, Brenden, and all those other contributors we used to hear from. a lot of their names I have forgotten but they know who they are so lets hear from you.

Mauri

lurk lurk lurk!

mauri, well said.
lisburn traffic is all one way now. very confusing for a couple of days. i knew where i wanted to go, but getting there was something else. ie you can't go bridge street etc. but you get used to it in a few days, and it works well.
the drivers are very mannerly and good. if your in the wrong lane, as there,s arrows to point the way. you just have to indicate and the car behind will let you move lane. i found it very good
enjoyed it all, but it's nice to be back in the sun, it's 25 here today and it's winter?.
good luck

"Hey Beano", Where are you, my apologies for not including you in my last entry, have not heard from you for a while, whats the matter all this hot weather laying you up?? Lets hear from you soon. Mauri

Never mind the RIP - Billy Connoly told his missus he wants this on his tombstone:
-Jaysus Krist - is it that time already!

Tom, Glad you enjoyed your trip back to the Auld Sod and your now back home safe and sound. Its sure differant driving over there now compared to the old days when there were hardly any cars on the road, but at least you didn`t have to get used to driving on the other side of the road, I remember one time picking up a rented car at Aldergrove and heading for Lisburn and at a stop sign where I had to turn without thinking went to the other side of the road, just lucky nothing coming the other way.
At one time the wife and I would have jumped in a plane and been over there to meet up with you and the others but unfortunatley Joy still not 100% and the thought of the overcrowded airports turn her off, in fact my cousins in Australia organized something similiar in Adelaide a couple of years ago as to what you McCabes had in Ireland my brother and partner from Belfast made it out there but again Joy not able to face the long flight or we would have been there too.
Our temperature here today 32oC but with the humanex more like 40oC but then its our summer and won`t be long untill we are freezing our asses off. Have a great week. Mauri

Dabbler, Is that Billy Connely from the newsagents shop in Castle Street or Billy Connely the butcher who used to work in Davis`s butchers shop in Bow Street but then opened his own shop in Bridge Street. Just wondering. Mauri

Mauri - Scottish comedian.

I am always up for a Wake, but Donald, "do not go gentle into that goodnight." Your posts are always interesting and well reasoned. Unlike the current proposed UK Assisted Dying Bill.

I hope and pray that the Bill doesn't go through. Else we all get 'put down' eventually. Just think of what could be started!

Liz
Maybe the DUP will sort it out.

Liz,Hildenboy,Dabbler, For the benifit of us Oversas contributors,but what Bill are you talking about, is it one to make assisted dying legal like they already have I think in Switzerland, there are some people here in Canada who are trying to get the same type of law passed. I guess there are Pros and Cons for both sides those for and those opposed. Mauri

Mauri
UK Parliament has today voted against a private bill to assist permanently ill people to end their lives. As a democrat I accept their decision. I still resent the fact that homicidal criminals can decide the fate of healthy individuals, whilst qualified doctors are forbidden to do likewise for a suffering patient.
PLEASE do not remind me that GOD/ALLAH will decide for us.

Dabbler, I too am all for assisted medical deaths and as for religion I lost all faith in that many years ago having been through and seen many horrible sights both in war and peace. Mauri

Mauri
I am pleased that you share my views. If I am told by qualified doctors that my brief remaining time will bring no pleasure, I would prefer to be out of it. As for people's faith, I do not wish to deprive them of it, but I am content to have lived, and accept that death is the end. I hope I did SOME good. I did my best,and I did it my way.
Wee Joe

Mauri /Dabbler

The assisted dying Bill as proposed was a poor piece of legislation. Irrespective of your faith or lack of it the vulnerable would have been at the mercy of unscrupulous doctors, family and "friends." It did not extend choice but rather curtailed it.

Dabbler, Hildenboy, Re the assisted dying legislation, in Canada the Federal Supreme Court has ruled that the law prohibiting this is unconstitutional and has given the Government one year to come up with new laws governing the practice. I had forgotten about this ruling in my last entry.?? Mauri

Mauri, Hildenboy,
To put my case in language that my neighbours in Linenhall Street would have understood, I would like to be in a position now, irrespective of the time I may have left, to say that, if I am ever so incapacitated that I cannot wipe my own arse, please, please send me gently to sleep forever. Even more rapidly if I am in pain. No, I do NOT want people saying how bravely I fought.

Dabbler, I tend to agree, I could go into details about some of my experiences with dying people, I was with four of my relatives including my late wife when they passed away and at least two who were in great pain I am sure would have welcomed relief as even the pain killers they were taking didnt seem to have any effect, I could also talk about a couple of other experiences during the Korean war but think we have talked enough about the whole subject. Mauri

Hi all,

We have not gone" gently into that goodnight" but have resurrected. We will live to see another day or maybe years.

Jim would be proud of us. He is an everlasting memory.

Pat