Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Refugees

DONALD,

Hope they get a better welcome than the last lot.

Pat

Donald,

Hope they get a better welcome than the last lot.

Pat

I believe Ireland is to take many thousands. I hope that, when they tell the locals they are Muslims, they are not asked if they are Catholic or Protestant Muslims.

Dabbler, I have no doubt that there are probably some idiots who will????. Mauri

Now the Munich Oktoberfest is over it would not surprise me if the tents were left standing and bunks put in to accommodate refugees. Toilets and cooking facilities are already there and it´s only a few minutes away from the Railway Station.
donald

Donald, this morning I read our Parish Newsheet and see that our parish, as well as the others in the diocese, are being asked to donate clothes, furniture, baby outfits and anything that would help the refugees who are coming here. I will definitely be able to donate clothes, and warm jumpers, as I have far too many; even if I hadn't I would buy some to donate. I will also buy some baby clothes and toys for the little children who must be wondering what is happening. We are told tht at present we don't need to offer a spare room to anyone, as accommodation is being prepared as we speak. I feel for those poor people, having to flee their homeland, and wonder how I would react if the same thing happened to me or my family and go to a strange land, different culture, inclement weather. It must be a nightmare. I hope they get a good reception here and are given a chance to live in peace.

Donald, that is a brilliant idea for use of the tents.
Mauri, I'm pleased you see the joke.
Ann, that is how I want to remember my Ireland.

Dabbler and Donald, this morning I filled two large plastic bags with woollen jumpers and warm shawls, some of them almost new. I filled the other one with warm jackets which will also be useful for the rain. Dominic filled another plastic bag with woollen jumpers, two suits in good nick, a couple of jackets, and I think he is still looking over his wardrobe for anything else that would do for homeless people. I want to buy some colouring books and crayons for the children too because I'm sure they have no toys with them. These will be left with St Vincent de Paul for distribution to the refugees when they arrive. I hope a lot of clothing and furniture is donated. We all have far too much. Dabbler, your Ireland of old is still here in many places. It's not all fighting and hatred, but I can see how you would get that idea. People don't change that much from the way they are brought up. If we're given a set of values, they stay with us.

Mauri, there's still that mentality here in some quarters. We'll always have the idiots with us in any society.

Ann, there are good and bad people of all faiths and none. The poor wee children know only what they experience, or are taught. A nice cuddle from an old Irish granny will be a good gift and memory for them.

Hey, Dabbler, I hope you are not calling me an "old" Irish granny!!!!!!!

Ann,

You are.!!!!!!Pat

1 2