Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Hilden school

The Haire family lived towards Canal Street. There was a big family but not a Tom. My best friend was Brenda Haire who went to England before I was married and I have never seen her since. She had sisters Louis and Edna and brothers Cecil, Harold and two others. Come to think about it, the youngest child was called Tom. I wonder if that would be him, maybe too young, he would be about 64 now. A family who went to the Salvation Army and took me along.

Liz

Liz, Like you say he would be far too young. not sure where the Tom Haire I am talking about lived, I think it was on the Antrim Road somewhere. Thanks anyway. Mauri

liz'
i went to christ church sunday school sunday morning, followed by morning service. also, big involvment with clb, bugle band, summer camp etc. lovely times. tom

Tom, I didn't know that you were in the CLB especially the bugle band, so was I when Jack Curry was the leader, other names that come to mind are Harlold Crowe and his brother who were much older than me Robin McCarter, and now I'm stuck would you believe,?? I stopped going in 1944 after I started work in the Post Office, Sam Waring was the OIC and his son Samuel I think was in the band as well, Oh another name has just come to mind Billy Irvine, memories of practice nights at the Island Mill and also at Nickolson's school. Mauri

mauri
i was in clb and bugle band later than you, although harold crowe was a big chief.
Billy [beano] hanna and i used to blow last post and reveille at lisburn cenotaph on remembrance day. then we were driven by older men to various churches around the town, including christ church to do it again, both together, and singly, depending on how many churches requested it i ended up in belfast once?. long ago? tom

Tom
I used to hear my dad talk about the CLB and I think he had something to do with it. Would you by any chance remember wee Billy Thompson?

Tom, Would you believe I have never been able to attend a Rememberance Day parade and service at Lisburn Cenotaph much as I would liked to have. I left Lisburn in January 1946 and was one of the detachment from HMS St.Vincent the Boys training establishment who on Rememberance week that year took part in the Rememberance day parade and service at the Royal Albert Hall which they still have every year. I also took part in several Anzac Day parades and services in Australia and when I was in the United States Air Force took part in a Rememberance Day parade and Service in Witney Oxfordshire and of course have attended numerous parades and services in Canada, but have never been able to make it to my home town rememberance day parade. will have to see if I can make it before I depart this earth, Ha Ha.

Although I was a bugler in the band, I was never a very good one druming was my game and when at St.Vincent we started a drum and bugle band and I became the lead drummer, Harold Crowe was a good bugler, I last saw him in Lisburn Town Hall when I was on leave one time in the 60s and went into to pay my Aunts tax bill. Mauri

sorry liz
the name billy thompson is not familiar to me.

1 2