Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
long overdue

at last a memorial has been erected to Rinty the last real world champion Ireland north or south ever had,and in his younger days lost to jim keery

Re: long overdue

Barney,
I saw Rinty in the fifties at the Assembly Rooms, shadow boxing and singing When Irish Eyes Are Smiling. What a comedown for a wee man who beat the best in the world.

yes he went round various halls singing and driveing taxi seen him last in the big hall he had to many friends and hangers ons

Last time I saw him he was serving petrol about York Street I see his brothers regularly at the pool most mornings, the acolades Rinty now receiving are well deserved Regards Ted

Barney & all,

Rinty's trainer was the brother of my aunt by marriage & he was the No 1 sportsman, when we were young. He was the forerunner for George Best but he never got the accolades he deserved.

Glad to hear he has been recognised for the champ he was & an entertainer too, singing after the boxing matches.

As the saying goes" never a prophet in your own land." especially in Norniron.

Pat