Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen Victoria loved the Vaterland

Was reading just now in the local newspaper that Queen Victoria once said if she was not Queen of England she would prefer to live in Rödental, the birthplace from her German born husband, Herzog Albert von Sachsen- Coburg- Gotha. A photo of Rosenau Palace where he was born in 1819 was also shown which she loved to visit. She stated by a visit there " If I was not who I am then I would have made my home here"!

Re: Queen Victoria loved the Vaterland

Donald, I wouldn't doubt it

Donald,

It is well she didn't marry a Free Stater ?

Pat

Donald,

No wonder she loved the Vaterland, her Mother was a German princess, who was a widow with 2 children, when the then Duke of Kent, later Edward V11, married her. Victoria was their only child.

Edward V11 belonged to the house of Saxe- Coburg, his father's line.

Victoria married another German, her first cousin, Albert at 18.

Pat

Pat
Didn´t she once give advice to English ladies that the best way to endure intercourse was to close ones eyes and think noble thoughts of England.
donald

Donald,

Wonder what she would advise now.? Pat

Pat
maybe to get rid of the old one and marry a young one, after all a young chap does not cost any more to keep than an old guy .
donald

Donald,

Victoria stayed alone till she died, we don't always need a man.

Pat

Pat

Donald,

Victoria stayed alone till she died, we don't always need a man.

Pat

Pat,
Wrong, a nation needs soldiers to quote a certain person ( Deutschland braucht Soldaten ) and that is one thing a woman needs a man for! Where would the ten thousand men whom the Grand old Duke of York marched up and down the hill have come from. If what you say is correct maybe there is some truth after all in the stories our parents told us about the stork delivering or them finding babies below the cabbage plants in the garden!
donald

Donald,

By we, I meant women or widows of a certain age that have been there, done that, bear the scars. No sireee.

Pat

Pat
I remember my gran, when she heard about someone marrying in later life saying sarcastic, " She had to see herself at a wedding"!

She called a widower " A widow man "! instead of a widower.
donald