Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wings Of The Morning

My old Lisburn family would never dream that our tough old dad loved this movie. Not only because it was the first ever made in Technicolour, nor even that he thought Annabella was beautiful - though he did - but because it featured the finest wee jockey on Earth, Steve Donohue, and also the world's finest singer, John MacCormack.

Re: Wings Of The Morning

Dabbler, was the movie on recently? I think the old movies are hard to beat. I love them; Westerns, musicals, thrillers - most of them are great. And very few explicit scenes.

ann, most movies, including explicit - you can alter parental settings to protect kids or yourself from seeing them. Iwas feeling nostalgic whwn I searched for that old Henry Fonda film.

Ann
Dabbler, was the movie on recently? I think the old movies are hard to beat. I love them; Westerns, musicals, thrillers - most of them are great. And very few explicit scenes.

Ann
That is not correct, even in those days those brazen hussies displayed bags of ankle!
Donald

Donald, I said "very few" explicit scenes. Yes, the brazen hussies showing their ankles. What'll happen next? Miniskirts? I must admit that I (and Pat) wore miniskirts in the time when they were popular. I remember someone telling me that a girl we knew commented on the two of us walking through the mill yard in our miniskirts. She said, "Look at those two married women wearing miniskirts". I still this person in town and every time I see her the comments she made come to mind. Of course, she doesn't know that we know. You know her too, Donald.

it was with great surprise and concern that such a racey subject is being discussed on the forum. for goodness sake watch your blood pressure and heart conditions. remember it was only a week ago you were all obsessed with dying. who are these new people posting could they be undercover employees of some of the local underdertakers looking for business. if any of you have any information I can be contacted at my local office on Thursdays.(Tuesday bell)remember its pole dancing classes on Thursdays.

There wuz bottles flyin' an' biddy's cryin', and Paddys goin't' town.

Ann
I remember reading about how difficult it was for women of our grandparents age when they went into hospital and care homes and there were male nurses who washed and changed them as the majority of these women had only been seen before here undressed by their husband or doctor.
I will never forget in the early 70s here in the Vaterland. We arranged to pick up an English colleague in his hotel room to go for an evening out. We ( only males ) knocked on his door and he told us to come in as he was not quite finished. We entered the room and suddenly the light went out. We thought the fuse had blown but it was him who had extinguished it to change his jeans!!! Prude, Prude, Prude!
donald

some clips of the film are on you tube

Donald, I wouldn't like having a male nurse wash me. It somehow wouldn't feel right and I don't think it would be right, either for the male nurse or me. Let's hope it never happens.

you better not go into the royal then Ann they been doing that for ages

Barney, I think it's very sad that when people get old the same respect isn't shown them. I mean, I can't see a male nurse attending a younger woman's personal hygiene. Why should that change just because someone is older? They FEEL the same although might not be in a position to voice their objections. They'd better not come near me if I ever have the misfortune to be bed-bound.!!!!!!!

hi ann I'm afraid I have to take issue with you on your post.it seems slightly sexist. what's the difference between male patients being attended and ministered to by female nurses which it has been for practically all of medical history and ladies having male nurses seeing to them? when one is ill surely any relief and care by a kind and professional person is to be more than welcomed? on the frequent occasions that i've been in hospital I never worried which gender the person nursing me was.

Eamon, I take your point. It's a a strange one right enough. However, nurses have traditionally been female and we've got used to being cared for by the "gentler sex". Males, including my son-in-law, have now joined the ranks of nurses, but for me it's too late to accept a male nurse for intimate care. Maybe younger people feel differently. My oldest son was here for lunch and I mentioned to him about females being washed by male nurses. He said that he wouldn't want to be washed by a male nurse either. He did add that a nurse like Pamela Anderson would do him just fine. You see, that's men for you. I rest my case.

Hi all,

Maybe it is old fashioned or prudish of me, but I prefer the sexes to be separate in every way.

As an old neighbour said to the District Nurse, when she attended him & attempted to give him a bed-bath, while he was confined to bed (with his cap still on).

He said to her " Missus, what are you doing washing auld fellas Away with you."

Each to his own I say. Pat