Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life in a small town

I'm fuming. I just wasted a good 10 minutes or so giving you an amusing account of a couple of incidents in town yesterday, only to be spammed. It's very disheartening.

Re: Life in a small town

Once again, I have been spammed. I tried to give you an account of my day in Lisburn yesterday. I even cut the input down and left out shop names, but to no avail. Spammed again. That's me finished with Lisburn Exiles for today. Fed up. Tried to gives you all a bit of a laugh at my experiences yesterday but it's not worth the effort.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/palace-defends-footage-of-child-queens-nazi-salute-31386103.html

an interesting article
donald

Ann, Can you not get in touch with Jim Collins son and find out what is causing all this spamming. I have only experienced it once on my side yet I have posted some reasonably long postings so for me it really has not been a problem. Mauri

donald
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/palace-defends-footage-of-child-queens-nazi-salute-31386103.html

an interesting article

donald

This is starting to be an International subject, last evening it was featured in the news on TV here in the Vaterland. I hope the Sun has not opened a bag of worms with this
donald

Donald, the Sun is a trashy newspaper and is still trying to get its sales back after ditching Page 3 (which featured females in various states of undress). However, regarding the picture of the very young Princess Elizabeth and her mother (Queen at the time) with their uncle, the Prince of Wales, giving what looked like Nazi salutes - all I have to say is that newspapers will do anything for circulation. The photograph is authentic all right, but it was taken in 1933, long before the War and before Hitler's regime became globally known. The young princess would have been doing what all of us did when we were young - having a laugh, nothing more sinister than that. Regarding her uncle, however, all I can say is that he was reported to have been a Nazi symmpathiser and a waster. Just as well he didn't become King or the people and the papers might have had something to write about.

Donald

As Jim Callaghan once famously said when questioned by a newspaper interviewer about something he was reported to have said.

"Surely you don't believe all that you read in the newspapers."

Pat

Ann
Edward VIII became king of the United Kingdom following the death of his father, George V, but ruled for less than a year. He abdicated the throne in order to marry his lover, Wallis Simpson, thereafter taking the title Duke of Windsor.

donald

Donald, yes, the Duke of Windsor is the person I was referring to. I may have mistakenly given him the title of Prince of Wales. It doesn't matter what his title was - he was no good, neither as a man nor a would be King. However, the picture to which you refer just shows how children can be taught to embrace or shun certain ideologies of their families.

Hi Ann,

Edward the V111 was Prince of Wales before he was crowned King, after his abdication they made him Duke of Windsor...Heaven knows why!!!!!!.

This is sure to get "SPAMMED".....here's hoping it isn't.

Beano

Edward V111 was never crowned.

Terry, you're quite correct.

King George V died on 20 January 1936, and Edward ascended the throne as King Edward VIII. The next day, he broke royal protocol by watching the proclamation of his own accession from a window of St James's Palace in the company of the then still-married Simpson.[42] He became the first monarch of the British Empire to fly in an aircraft when he flew from Sandringham to London for his Accession Council.[11]

Edward VIII (Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David; 23 June 1894 – 28 May 1972) was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Empire, and Emperor of India, from 20 January 1936 until his abdication on 11 December the same year.

It´s correct he never was crowned but he was proclaimed King and reigned for a short while

donald

In American Time Magazine man of the year in 1938 was Adolf Hitler,had he died in 1939,he would be have been recognized by historians as almost an equal to to Bismarck as Germanys greatest ever statesman

that was taken from THE IRISH DAILY MAIL