Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New novel

Was spammed just now. Tried to say that Harper Lee's new book is due on 14 th July.

Re: New novel

I have it ordered so roll on Tuesday. Won't give the title as I may be spammed again. Dabbler might be interested.

Ann, At the risk of sounding stupid,who is Harber Lee and what kind of book does this author write. I used to read a heck of a lot but not so much now though I do have a small library. Mauri

Goodmorning Mauri The Book in ? I am lead to believe is an extension of the original book To Kill A Mockingbird which is also a film which starred Gregrory Peck .Regards Ted

Mauri, the new novel is called Go Set a Watchman. Harper Lee wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird" when she was much younger. She is now 89, still alive and lives in Monroeville in the southern states of America. This book was written before "Mockingbird" but was turned down by the publishers. It was stored away in her house and eventually forgotten about.

Mauri, to continue. Harper Lee then went on to write "To Kill a Mockingbird" which was a great success and a film was made, as Ted says, starring Gregory Peck. Just recently, this older novel was found in the original manuscript form. Harper Lee was persuaded, I believe very reluctantly, to have it published. You can understand why there is so much interest in a book that has lain hidden for a lifetime and was originally turned down for publication.

Mauri, to continue. I also read yesterday from those who had previews of the new book, ie. The Sunday Times, etc. They all agree that those who read the original "Mockingbird" might be disappointed in the first chapter of Go Set a Watchman. So, we shall see. I wrote this in sections in case I was spammed. Mauri, if you're a reader, buy the book. Harper Lee only ever wrote 2 books, one was a great success, and the other we will judge after tomorrow. Two good reasons to buy.

Sorry Mauri The Title of the book "Go Sat A Watchman" and if interested you can get it on Amazon or of course you can get it on Kindle Happy Reading Regards Ted and

Ted, it's well seen we have nothing better to do today than look into the Exiles. I was going to continue painting the fence but will wait until later as it looks a bit watery right now. No doubt I will find plenty of other work inside the house.

Good Morning Ann I have to confess I am still in my scratcher and had just browsed the latest news I see Greece seems to have pulled of a loan so they can breath lightly for another while , and herself wants to know if I want my eggs fried or done in the pan !discissons discissons In the meantime I wish yourself and all the readers a happy and Glorious Twelth wherever you are the rain has ceased at the moment and the forecast is dry for the afternoon I have to get up now otherwise the eggs go hard Regards Ted

Ted. All I have to say to you is 'Lazy lump'!!!!!!

Ann,Ted, Thank you for the information it was only after I posted my message that it dawned on me who Harber Lee was. I have seen To Kill a Mocking Bird several times in fact quite recently on a TV channel that shows old movies. Must look out for that book the next time I am up in one of our Local Malls though that could be quite a while as it is not a place I frequent very often. Mauri

Yesterday morning, after getting dressed, I opened my tablet. There, at the very top of the page was "Go set a Watchman", all ready for reading. I was delighted and read 4 chapters immediately. I loved what I read and reluctantly closed it down before I would become too engrossed. I have been reading on and off at every opportunity and love this new novel. I don't know what the general concensus of opinion is but as far as I'm concerned, it's a brilliant piece of writing as well as being highly entertaining and enjoyable. I would recommend anyone who liked "Mockingbird" to buy this. In fact, when I've finished this, I'm going to read "Mockingbird" again.