Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Twelfth

Hi all,

Heard a man saying the other day "This year the 12th is on the 13th" & he was serious.

I was amazed at the "Tower of Pisa" bonfire in Belfast, on T.V. the other night & a street of people, mostly elderly, had to vacate their houses before the lighting up time.

Wonder how things went with that inferno, must watch the news tonight, a marvel of building with pallets. Talk about Lego!!

I like a good fire but that was out of this world. Pat
[

Re: The Twelfth

Pat
The man's statement matches the intellect of those 'grown-ups' who light bonfires for triumphalist reasons.

I have just learned of the death of a little girl in Bangor. THINK!

Dabbler
I have just learned of the death of a little girl in Bangor. THINK!

Dabbler,
Is this death linked to the 12tn July ?
Do you have a link please?
LR

LR
I suspect that the tele and other provincial papers will report the death of the child. She was hit by a vehicle as revellers returned from Twelfth celebrations.

LR

I just checked on Google. The death appears to be unrelated to the Twelfth - must be careful which reports I trust in future.
I am always shocked at sudden death, especially of a child.
I guess you people who lived through The Troubles heard of many such deaths.

Dabbler
LR

I just checked on Google. The death appears to be unrelated to the Twelfth - must be careful which reports I trust in future.

I am always shocked at sudden death, especially of a child.

I guess you people who lived through The Troubles heard of many such deaths.

I cannot find any report of a death as you describe it. A girl was injured by a car in Belfast and that is to be condemned by any right thinking person.

Fortunately I left Lisburn before the troubles started in 1968.

With regards to your remark about bonfires. They have always been a feature of this time of year, but unfortunately they have , like all things at home,become a vehicle for hooligans.

I don't think they are triumphalist as it is unlikely the people who build them could spell the word never mind express it as an opinion.

i always keep wondering where all those pallets come from, on the moter way around dromore area £3 a pallet is being offered

LR
Bonfires, whether for burning Lundy or Guy Fawkes, are potentially dangerous. especially when surrounded by hooligans with fireworks. Those I recall in Lisburn were often surrounded by lads of all ages chanting what should be done with highly religious figures. Here in England, the crowds are generally devoid of anti-religious fervour, but the smell of burning wood can bring out the idiot in people. I once saw a man, a friend I might add, throw a bunch of squibs into the flames, then look grinning at his young son for approval.SOBER.
But I digress. The story of the child's death sprang uninvited unto my screen as I switched on, sleepless late last night. I now know her name was Bogle, and it happened last month.