Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Maginess Family from Hilden

Iwas thinking about my schooldays at Hilden school and trying to remember people from that time and the family above came to mind.
I know they lived in Hilden but have no idea where.
I remember 4 girls, Bearnadette, Eileen and twin sisters Sally and Annie.
Can anyone fill in the family history?
LR

Re: The Maginess Family from Hilden

Low Roader, I knew the Magennis family but I didn't know they originally lived in Hilden. When I knew them they lived in Delacherois Avenue. I think Annie and Sally were non-identical twins but I couldn't be sure about that. These two girls died a long time ago. I don't think Sally had a family. I know she emigrated to America and married there but the marriage didn't work out and she returned to Lisburn. She then married her childhood sweetheart, whose name I don't know, but he's a Lisburn person who I know to see. (if you know what I mean). They remained married until Sally died. Annie married an executive in one of the German factories and had at least one child. Her marriage didn't survive and they separated, he taking the child back to Germany when the factory closed. She also died a long time ago. Bernadette was a lovely, quiet girl. I think she suffered from a heart condition. She married and had two children. Unfortunately, poor Bernadette's heart condition contributed to her early death when she was in her 30s. Her husband emigrated to Australia with the children. Eileen went to live in Bangor. That's the last I heard of her and I don't know if she's alive or not. Reading over your post, Low Roader, I see that Annie and Sally were twins all right.

Ann / lowroader
if I remember correctly the family lived next door to the Rickard family at McConnell´s hill facing your family home and after the fire moved to Bridge Street Hilden facing the boys entrance to Hilden school beside the Taylor family. Brendan, if still looking in may know more.
donald

Ann, the Maginess family lived opposite the school gates.Eileen and I were what you might call childhood sweethearts but after we left school she disappeared and I never seen her again.

Leo Eileen was a good looking girl. You had good taste. Sorry I don't know more about her now.

I remember aver 30 years ago walking through Miesbach, a small town in Bavaria Germany and seeing a British registered car with a Lisburn advert in the rear window. Some time later when on holiday in Lisburn I called into Gabriel Kerr´s butchers shop in Grand Street and Annie came in to shop. We got talking and both of us conversed in German !!! She told me her husband was originally from there and only later I realised it could have been their car. How small the world is
donald

Donald, why did you both converse in German when you both speak English and you were in Lisburn at the time. I'm sure Gabriel's face was a picture!!!!!!!!!

Ann

the question is justified, if I remember correctly I was learning German grammar at that time and was quoting out of an evening school book which gave a report about Miesbach. By the way I speak norniron not English

donald

Hi all,

Last I heard of Eileen Magennis was that she married & lived in Bangor & her Mother eventually went to live there too. That was years & years ago.

Pat