Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Boys - and the girls

Leo, sorry to say I am not the wee girl you remember living in Piper's Hill. As you will see from my postings, my childhood and part of my adulthood was lived in the Low Road. I did have a brother called Malachy who unfortunately died in 1968. Maybe someone else will know who you are talking about.

Leo

Yes, me again. OurTown Lisburn video is on Youtube. Old Hill Street is on there,with a view towards Pipers Hill. A couple of girls are in the shot, but too distant for me to recognize. They come out of a house nearly opposite Bradbury's Buildings.
I get more out of watching that than a sex video = must be getting old.

Dabbler, Funny thing I too was surfing around the internet and brought up Lisburn via Nicholsons statue, and was very surprised to see the statue being lifted back on to its base but not where it usually stands, in fact it was where the old taxi stand used to be at the corner of Market Square and Cross Row. So maybe Ann or some other local resident could let us know what was going on, appartently this was back in April. Maybe General Nicholson got tired of standing in the one old spot and decided to take a walk.?????

Mauri

Mauri work has been carried out on the square. I should say work is on going. At present there are three huge monuments depicting needles and thread. Good choice because of the town's connection with the linen industry. General Nicholson had to be moved to the spot you mentioned. We are supposed to get a water feature in the square too but will have to wait and see. Should have mentioned about Nicholson when I talked about the work being done but cannot remember everything.

Dabbler, I don't know how to do the Youtube yet. the house on Hill street opposite Bradburys buildings was No 19 and Harry McVeigh lived there,he had a sister called Teresa and maybe an older sister but I cannot her name, she worked in the Picture house.
old age creeps up on us,I think you are a year older than me.

Nice to hear from you Leo. To find ANYTHING, including Lisburn video, just search Google. I was 79 last month. I knew Mousey, but cannot really recall his sister. Do you remember the Herrons and McAllisters of Hill Street? Or Spences of Bradbury's Buildings?

yes Dabbler I remember these names and a few more, the McAllisters lived at No 3 hill street,Vincent and Brendan. Brendan had a limp similar to Tommy Stafford. Paddy Murray lived at No5. John Herron lived at No9, his house was the first one in the street to get a tv us kids crowded round the window to watch the coronation.
the Spences of Bradburys Buildings,Bobby Jimmy Willy and Maisie. I read in a post about someone who had dived into the Lagan and went into a dead dog, there was a rumour that Mr Spence had done the same.
Also in Bradburys Buildings, the Kidds Edward Neville and Margaret,the Laverys Rosie and Sally. the Mc combs of Barrack lane, Robert Dennis Eric and Sally.
That will do for now, Im going to watch football on telly.

Leo,

Mary Mc Veigh was the older sister. I visited their house when we all went to the Convent School. I believe they came into Lisburn during the War or something. Pat

George McComiskey - yes, I know you read it here years ago - but what a character. I stood with a few mates at JD Martin's corner, watching George approach, and join, the state-of-the-art Teddy Boysleaning against Tam Brown's pub window. What in the name of the holy father was that poor man thinking?
Dressed in the same ragged clothes he wore as he rode with his family round the town in their cart, George sidled up to the elegant group who eyed him suspiciously as he leaned back and placed his elbows on the window sill. I cannot remember what happened next, but was highly amused, but not very surprised, some time later, to learn that George had started to rebel, drinking, and apparently helping himself to a fry-up, and smashing the crockery into the coalhole, where he believed it would remain undiscovered. Icannot be certain of the final tale, as it was told by that raconteur, Cyril McCurry, but it seems that when the men in the white coats came to get him, George was dragged down the hill shouting, 'You can't take me; I'm George mccomiskey'

GEORDIE USED TO WALK TO BELFAST AND BACK REGULARLY WITH HIS HOB NAILED BOOTS ON

Barney, I used to assume that the Teds were tough guys; never gave it a thought that hob-nail boots Geordie, stepping in among them, might have been showing that he thought otherwise. The very thought, all these years later, makes me smile.

Dabs,

Smiling makes the day & lifts our spirits, remembering is smiling time.

Pat

Leo

Sally McComb had an older sister burnt to death when her clothing caught alight in front of the fireplace.

Thanks Ann

We went shopping at a local superstore, gloated about how much we had saved, had eggs on toast at a cafe, and got some fresh sea air walking between shops. Later, I drove my grandson and his friend to play football - Jeez, our little five foot eight or nine 'Georgie Best' takes size eleven boots at fourteen - and then we cleared out the shed.
So, life goes on.
But, like you Ethne, I remember.``

talking to Brian McKeown today and he was telling me Sean O'Neill is getting buried in the morning told me of a few more who had died but i cannot remember now who they were

morning Barney.
I wonder if those people are relatives of anyone I knew. The Christian names do not ring any bells.
Any old acquaintances of mine still alive will be staggering out of the pub into the bookies today to have a flutter at Cheltenham.

I drove to my nearest bookies and had a flutter. Adds interest to TV viewing.

Dabbler, I wonder how many times I must have pased you on my way into the bookies in Linenhall St. I once wond 2 pounts and blew it all at Blundells amusement part in Smithfield market on the dodgems.??? Mauri

Mauri - Cooper's bookies, my second home when I was a teenager. :-)

Ann, you knew Paul McKEOWN, nd probably Teresa, who married my mother's brother. i think they had children. She remarried after he died young.

Dabbler, Paul McKeown is also a cousin of mine. (We're everywhere)
Paul is alive, married with a family, and lives in Craigavon. Haven't seen him for some years.

I don't know the Teresa McKeown, to whom you refer, but Pat, my sister, might.

A new GP remarked to me one day that everyone in Lisburn seems to be related in one way or t'uther. If not actually related, we all know each other. You have to watch what you say in Lisburn, and to whom you say it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ann
Dabbler, Paul McKeown is also a cousin of mine. (We're everywhere)
Paul is alive, married with a family, and lives in Craigavon. Haven't seen him for some years.

I don't know the Teresa McKeown, to whom you refer, but Pat, my sister, might.

A new GP remarked to me one day that everyone in Lisburn seems to be related in one way or t'uther. If not actually related, we all know each other. You have to watch what you say in Lisburn, and to whom you say it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i worked with paul a number of times have not seen or heard of him in years good to hear he is still above ground,anyone know of how hugh mcgrogan is doing these days

Barney, I'm sure you know that Hugh McGrogan has Alzheimer's. It seemed to develop very quickly and I think he is now in care, but am not absolutely sure.

Ann
Barney, I'm sure you know that Hugh McGrogan has Alzheimer's. It seemed to develop very quickly and I think he is now in care, but am not absolutely sure. [/

quote]

yes Anne that was last i heard of hughbeing in a home north circular road i believe

Ann
i thank you for knowledge of Paul's life. The paranoid GP sounds typical of the people. (Prods or Fenians may be listening)

Dabbler, the GP isn't paranoid. He's only a young man, not long out of university, in his first GP practice. I suppose he had never come across a place like Lisburn where almost everyone knows everyone else (or is, indeed, related to them). I like him.

Ann
On second reading of your posting about your GP, I see that HE is not paranoid. Hope he doesn't easily take offence.

Exon Valdez

Lookiing forward to seeing a TV show tomorrow night about the Esso oil tanker "Exon Valdez" which went aground some twenty five years ago while leaving a port in Alaska, what will be real interesting is the former Captain is going to take part he got fired after the incident as an investigation revealed that he was in his cabin after turning the watch over to the inexperienced 3rd Officer in a highly congested and tricky shipping channel
I know most of you will probably find this boring but for an ex seaman like myself who served on numerous oil tankers I wouldnt miss it for the world.
Exon is the American prefix name for Esso tankers as opposed to the British "Esso" which prefix's British flagged Esso ships Esso London,Esso Westminster,
Esso Brixham to name the ones I served on. Whue there were obviously some decent Captains there were also some real *******s who were lucky they didn't dissapear overboard during the voyage amd Icould tell a few stories about some of them.?? Mauri

Computer Service

On Wednesday a guy came and picked my computer up to take it away for servicing. The next day they phoned me to tell what was wrong and what it would cost to repair. I gave them the OK and on Saturday they phoned me to say it was ready to be picked up. When I enquired as to why they couldn't deliver and set up as promised the answer was because it is a Holiday week end (Thanksgiving) they were short handed so I picked it up myself on my way to dinner.

Was just wondering what the computer servicing is like in the various places that you all live, I know where we live there is intense competition from the different computer companies for business. Next year I think I will buy a new one and expect to have a lot of fun negotiating a price, never pay the first price quoted??
Mauri

Re: Computer Service

Mauri
I'm fortunate in that I get my computers from my sons, and that if they had problems - the computers - there's a fair chance that they - my sons - could mend them, or would know a man who could.I think I have hackers or viruses, or both, but I have nothing to hide from hackers, and the viruses don't stop me writing rubbish.
While writing now, I am also watching a brilliant movie about drug smuggler Howard Marks.
Mauri, your stories are almost as interesting as his.

Re: Computer Service

Mauri, I bought this new laptop from PC World in Lisburn. I must say their after-sales service is first class. Any time I have a problem I just take the computer to them and they fix it immediately. Most of the problems are trivial things but even so. They check the computer for viruses and scams, clear up all the junk for me and set any types of programmes I ask. AND they have yet to charge me. Probably think, "Silly old fool".

1 2 3