Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer Drive

Yesterday being a beautifull sunny day with the temperature around 25oC we decided to take a drive up around where we used to live but moved from some 12 years ago. When I say used to live we only lived there in the summer and in the winter drove to Florida where we had another home. This former home is located in a trailer park right on Lake Ontario and is a lovely quiet peacefull scenic spot. Nothing had changed we parked right at the small beach located at the end of the far end of the park and just sat on the comfortable beach chairs and took in the beauty of the day and not believing it has been twenty two years since we first moved there upon retiring. Memories. Mauri

Re: Summer Drive

Hi Mauri , Like your style ! it sounds like you both had a very enjoyable afternoon that sometimes happen without two much organisation and for some reason comes together perfectly ? about a fortnight ago during a brief warm couple of days Pat and myself took of for Newcastle and I had in my possession a voucher our daughter had given us at Christmas for Afternoon Tea in the Slieve Donard Hotel and the Oak Lounge there overlooks the sea and the Mournes I am afraid the tea was more than we could handle but fair play to the waiter he asked us would we like a box to take the uneaten pastry home which we accepted so the Grandkids shared the day as well ,and I must say like yourself all aspects of the day turned out perfect even the walk along the prom afterwards , but I'm afraid the Apperoes? are now gone but Newcastle still holds that magic.
Kind Regards Ted

Hi Ted, Mention of the Slive Donard Hotel sure brought back memories. I remember a long time ago being home on leave and renting a car and taking a girl friend for a drive to Newcastle and like yourselves having tea in the Slieve Donard. We used to go to Newcastle when a kid on sunday school excursions carrying a bucket and spade I guess it is still a popular spot. All The Best. Mauri

Mauri & Ted, sounds like you both hit on the same idea when the good weather appeared. The Slieve Donard is lovely for afternoon tea and as you say Ted the view is beautful. Mauri, great to see you out and about too. I spent yesterday and today painting the fencing around the house. This is my job now. I did it once and made such a good job of the task that I get to do it every year now. Not finished yet but it's a job I enjoy and the place looks good afterwards.

Hion all,

Sometimes it is nice to have a quiet time near home or even in the garden, where the life is easy, nip inside for a cup of tea or as you all say, afternoon tea in a picturesque place.

Holidays this year are spoiled by the violence abroad so home is best for this year, hope the weather here improves & we get some sun & heat again before long, as it has been mixed this last few weeks.

Pat