Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Incident at Sea

One of the numerous oil tankers that I sailed in belonged to Gulf Oil and was named the "Ragusa" after a town in Italy, now the reason for the Italian name was because there were several tankers of Gulf Oil sailing under the Italian flag, however after an explosion and fire on the "Melika" the crew abandoned ship without even shutting down the engines and so it was sailing all along on its own, luckly there happened to be a
Royal Navy Aircraft carrier in the vicinty who landed by helicopter a fire fighting crew who stopped the ship and extinguished the fire.

Gulf Oil mangement decided to transfer their Italian flag ships to the British Flag but retained their Italian names, British Gulf Oil ships were normally called "Gulf London" or Gulf whatever. Anyway I joined the "Ragusa" in Southampton and off we went to the Persian Gulf. Loading in "Abadan" we were bound for Genoa in Italy, somewhere in the Red Sea near midnight just ready to come off watch and go to bed I was called to the bridge along with another shipmate as appartently two of the ships engineers were on the bridge drunk out of their minds and demanding the Captain open up the ships stores and sell them some more booze and had even threatened him so he had locked himself in the chart room.
After some time we managed to get the engineers back to their quarters and everything quietened down. Arriving in Genoa we were surprised to see several guys with suitcases on the wharf, turned out the Captain had radioed Head Office in London and asked for replacement engineers as he had fired the whole engine room crew.which of course was a shock to those engine room staff who had not participated in the stupid incident. The rest of the voyage back to Iran and then Europe and the UK was uneventfull. Mauri

Re: Incident at Sea

Mauri, I'm sure it could be a lonely life at sea. No wonder the crew sometimes imbibed, although I wouldn't condone the few who did this while on duty. However, it was unfair for the others to be sacked. These things happen, or did. I don't think it would happen nowadays, either incident you mention. Another interesting yarn.

another one for the book Mauri

Ann,Barney, Yes life at sea could at times be lonely though on the big passenger liners the crew usually had a small pub called "The Pig" which was usally very busy, on Tankers and cargo ships depending on which Company owned the ship there were sometimes beer or rum issues,usally two bottles of beer a day or a tot of rum. Accomadation was usually pretty good especially on tankers, the last tanker I was on I had my own cabin with bedroom, bathroom, and living space. Navy ships were the direct opposite because they carried a much larger crew or ships company as they were called. The last Navy ship I was on in the Australian Navy was a small World War 11 frigate of 1200 Tons but a ships company of approx 250 which meant at sea we had pretty crowded accomadation. When I left the Royal Navy they were still issuing a tot of rum at lunch time though this was stopped sometime in the 70s, in the Australian Navy there was no rum though sometimes the guys would try to smuggle bottles of whiskey,or brandy back on board myself included, we usually put it down our socks and of course the bell bottoms hid it though one of my mates when coming on board and stepping off the gangway stopped to salute and his bottle of whiskey fell out in front of the Officr of the Watch for which he received seven days confinement in cells. Mauri

hi mauri,
the first posting about the two engineers, they must be in a big personal problem area. they already had a skinful, and wanted more. most people would be heading for bed?

Mauri,

Laughed abut that bottle of whiskey, reminded me of the Customs at the Border long ago, finding ham or cigarettes on the trains.

Children were used as decoys, with toys full of booty. Halycon days.

Hope you & Joy are keeping will & having a nice Summer.

Pat

Pat, Thank you for asking, both Joy and myself keeping well, Joy using a cane to get around but improving every day.we are just leading a quiet life now and to think that we used to take a couple of trips a year but "Hey" maybe next year we will be off "Who Knows", trust that you and Joe are A1 and enjoying the summer.

Tom, If the engineers had had any sense they would have gone to bed but long periods at sea affected some guys in strange ways especially when it came to booze.????. One time I was working on the Cunard liner "Mauretania" and in the winter we done Caribean cruises as the passenger trade on the North Atlantic was dying off when the jets came into operation. I was working as a QM on the bridge and behind the bridge there was a pantry that the stewards used servicing the officer's cabins. I went to the bathromm and the Steward in the pantry offered me a drink which of course Itook and came back for more along with my opposite number, we both finished up pie eyed and just about turned the ship full circle when the old man came on the bridge and saw what was happening,we both got fired and were sent home from New York, not that I minded because a family member was getting married in Lisburn so was able to attend that, my next ship was a banana boat as I had no hope of getting on any more Cunard liners which again didn't bother me as there were plenty of other jobs. I guess you are looking forward to your trip back to the old country next month, hope everything goes smoothly for you, seven years, this year since I was back there and then it was only for a few days. Watched the USA take Japan apart in the soccer final last night, did you see it? now world champions for the third time. Mauri

Mauri,

I am surprised you took another cruise again, as a passenger, knowing what went on, you have put me off cruises now.

Pat

mauri
america and japan. only saw the highlights, but such lovely goals, especially the last one . i'll try to see the whole match somehow. it's great skilful football

mauri,
yes the second inquiry on your comment, we leave brisbane on july 27 , fly to dublin and spend 3 days exploring that lovely city. then get a train to lisburn [pat was kind enough few years ago to find out about buses and trains.] we have accommodation in north circular road. then on 14 15 august we go to ballyconnell in county cavan to slieve russel hotel to a mccabe clan rally. the hotel is booked out with mccabes, the organiser tells me, we contact each other at times, there's 12 americans coming as well.
[ hope the receptionist doesn't get a message for a mccabe?]
after that, a tour round derry, donegal, tyrone, armagh, greatly looking forward to it all. tom

Tom, I wonder will you have time to meet up for a coffee/tea when you are in Lisburn. It would be nice to put a face to your name.

Tom. Sounds like a really nice trip so hope everything goes well for you. Really tickles me that while in Lisburn you have accomadation on the North Circular Road, as a telegram boy during the war I delivered quite a few telegrams to a certain party on that street, while it was always considered a "Hoity Toity" area this party receiving the telegrams was playing the horses with a bookie in England.?? Mauri

Pat, The only thing that puts me off cruises now is the size of the ships the latest ones out now carrying some 4000 passengers or more, since we retired 22 years ago Joy and myself have cruised the Mediteranean, Carribean several times. Alaska, The Baltic including Russia, Bermuda. Mexico and our last cruise was a river cruise on the Rhine. Most of the cruise ships now under the control of one company and with a few exceptions most under flags of convenience which means they hire the crews from all over the world including China and pay them rock bottom wages, when we were on the Mediteranean cruise I talked to a couple of Indian seaman and was shocked to hear what they were being paid and also the length of time they had to spend on board before getting any leave. if I remember correctly it was six months and then they were flown back to India and the fare deducted from their accumalated wages. If they had tried that on the unionized British cruise ships there would have been a strike, in fact just after I started in the MN I was on the cruise ship "Caronia" and arrived back in Southampton after what was called the "North Cape" cruise starting in New York.the rest of the Merchant Navy was on strike and several of us on the "Caronia" resigned which we were entitled to do at the end of the trip, and joined the strikes in demonstrations and marches in Southampton, most of the "Caronia" crew signed on again for the next trip which was a world cruise as most of them were company men who had been on the ship since it was built. The strike only lasted a few weeks but resulted in a lot of improvements in working conditions for Merchant Seaman. Mauri

ann,
would appreciate meeting up for a tea sometime. maybe pass you on the road i won't have a car at that time, walking everywhere, more fun, and my brother lives in pond park.

Tom,

Buses run from the airport to Belfast regularly, so you can be there quicker than the train & easier than going onto the city. It will stop for you near Lisburn where you can get a taxi to your destination for a couple of pounds.

Hope all goes well for you & the sun shines, Bon Voyage

Pat

Tom,

After several tries I at last got a message on to you, Spam was the trouble, maybe because I mentioned place names etc. Advertising?????
Not my intention but there it, hope you can deciper the message without mentioning names of places or airport.

Cheesed off, going to make lunch after a wasted hour...Pat

Tom, we live in the Pond Park area too. Having said that, it's a vast area now with new developments being built all the time. Looking forward to meeting you.

Mauri, I used to feel that I would like to experience a holiday on a cruise ship. Recently, however, the thought of so many people being catered for is inclined to put me off. Having a problem with my gut at the best of times would put me at a greater risk of infection if there was an outbreak of food poisoning. (talk about being optimistic!!!!). However, it I was offered a free one, I might take the chance.!!!!!!!!!!!

pat,
thank you again for the info on the busses. however we are staying in dublin city for three days to see the sights, and a trainride would be quite relaxing. there's actually only one daily quite early which stops at lisburn, so over the wee bridge and there. thanks again

Talking about Lisburn GNR Station does anyone remember the Station Master Barr?? who lived in the wee house beside the bridge?
donald

tom mccabe
pat,

thank you again for the info on the busses. however we are staying in dublin city for three days to see the sights, and a trainride would be quite relaxing. there's actually only one daily quite early which stops at lisburn, so over the wee bridge and there. thanks again

steer clear of temple bar

Tom,

You can hire a car from your side to await you at the airport for 15 Euros a day, if that interests you.

One of my sons drives a Tour Bus in Dublin, if you let me know when you are doing the Tour ( which is well worth while, visiting Guiness's & Jamesons Distilleries, & all the historical parts of the city) I will tell him to watch out for you.

Do visit Powerscourt House & Gardens in Wicklow, near Dublin, another visit well worth while, IF the weather is kind. You will enjoy Dublin, the oldest pub in Ireland, is there, a tiny place called the Brazen Head.

Have a great time anyway, it will be a memorable visit for you to meet family & friends again.

Pat

P.S. Tom,

Check those trains, in Summer, 2 stop at Lisburn one around 1.15p.m. & the other 5.00p.m. Sunday trains different times.

Fares are expensive at E53 fare. Buses are much better value but the train, is as you say, more relaxing IF you go first-class & not in a packed noisy carriage.

Pat

Pat

P.S. Tom,

Check those trains, in Summer, 2 stop at Lisburn one around 1.15p.m. & the other 5.00p.m. Sunday trains different times.

Fares are expensive at E53 fare. Buses are much better value but the train, is as you say, more relaxing IF you go first-class & not in a packed noisy carriage.

Pat

what about the free travel on bus passes

Barney, free bus/train passes don't apply to people on holiday from another country as far as I know.

Slieve Russell Hotel Cavan Attention Tom mc Cabe

Tom,

Speaking to my son, who is married to Barbara mc Cabe, from Cavan town & telling him about the clan gathering. He tells me that this hotel is in N.A.M.A (Liquidators) so be carful about parting with any monies in advance of your stay.

The Hotel now being run as a going concern but the staff don't know from day to day what the future holds. All may be well but just a warning word for you.

They hadn't heard of the gathering but are enquiring, so maybe you will meet up with them in August.

Pat