Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jim keery

Jim Keery
W L D
82 37 12
37 KOs 10 KOs
last 6

view biography

watch
bouts 132 rating
rounds 843 ranking 555 / 62,176
KOs 28% 50 / 4,299

global ID 33001
born 1921-02-03
debut 1932-05-01 / age 11
division lightweight
residence
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
birth place
Lisburn, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

WAS JUST HAVING A LOOK AT JIM KEERY'S BOXING RECORD AND I NOTICED HIS DEBUT IS GIVEN AS AGE 11 BACK IN 1932

Re: jim keery

WHICH HE WON BY TKO IN 4TH ROUND I DOUBT IF THE AGE IS CORRECT

Barney, Didn't Jim Keery live up the longstone somewhere I seem to recall seeing him around there when I was kid. There was another family of Keerys who lived in Warren Gardens there were four brothers, Jim,Jack,Sam & Tom, Tom run the grocery store opposite the Chapel anybody remember them.though I don't think they had any connection to the boxer. Mauri

yes thats right Mauri i had answered in more detail but got a spam message

barneykx
yes thats right Mauri i had answered in more detail but got a spam message

there was also billy and isaac who were bricklayers maybe not the same family though not sure about that

Barney,

Billy & Issac lived in Grand St. in the Low Rd, a family of first-class plasterers & bricklayers. I met Billy's son, from England, in the Premier Inn a few years ago, he was over to see his father & mother, (she was a Gilliland from Haslem's Lane )who lived somewere in Lisburn, in a bungalow Billy Snr. had built.

The Low Rd Keery's were great pigeon men, iived across the road from my Grannies, we used to watch them calling the birds home.

I remember the names Geordie, Sammy, Issac, Robert, Billy the youngest, all boys in the family, their mother was a nice homely woman & his uncle Rabbie Fleming, who lived with them, was a character, noted for his down to earth sayings.

Rabbie said when a Hilden Mill girl, who went to London, visited & passed the house, dressed in a fur coat.

"There's the lights of London away past"

Pat

Pat

Billy Keery is my uncle. He married my aunt Ruby who has just recently gone into a Nursing Home. She came from Bradbury Buildings and was the youngest girl in the family. They had seven or eight children, two of whom are now deceased. I wonder which of my cousins you talked to when he visited?

Liz,

I don't know which cousin it was, only that he lived in England. Apparently at the time of his marriage to an English girl, the family disagreed but later became reconciled. Tick any boxes?

I always thought Billy was married to, (as I remember her) a small girl called Gilliland, but I was young then & have probably got the name wrong. I know they had a big family & regularly visited their grandmother in Grand St. Mrs Keery, who was a good neighbour of my grandmother, was very fond of her daughter-in-law.

PAT

Hi Pat

You are right she was Ruby Gilliland, my mother's youngest sister,my mum being Nan Gilliland. She was small, so was my mum and so am I!

A few of my cousins went to live in England, I have lost track over the years.

Liz,

Your cousin we met was very nice, we were sitting outside in the sun, he having a smoke, us having coffee at the adjacent table & we got talking.

When he heard I was originally from the Low Rd the reminiscences started about his visits to his grandmother there. His wife died some years ago he said & he was devastated, but his family are good to him & arranged his visit to Lisburn as a present.

Small world indeed. Pat