Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stumbled onto this old thread

http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/post.php?usernum=90420285&frmid=2&msgid=0&cp=0

Re: stumbled onto this old thread

barneykx
http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/post.php?usernum=90420285&frmid=2&msgid=0&cp=0
made an error there

http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=90420285&frmid=2&msgid=815312&cmd=show&cp=1

barney, copy and paste this brings an empty page??????????????

http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=90420285&frmid=2&msgid=815312&cmd=show&cp=1

THAT ONE'S COMEING UP FOR ME

Ann
Nov 18, 2009 - 4:58PM
Quote Reply Re: OLD SCHOOLS
Frank, Dominic mentions Russell Bell, Seamy Reynolds, Jimmy McMillen (Rimmel), Dessie Douglas, Ignatius Brown, Niall and Gerry Murray, Hugh Bradley, Geordie and Jackie Frazer, Francie, Denis and Gerald McGurnaghan, Gerald Stewart.

There's a few names from the past, but maybe younger than yourself - some of them anyhow.

I also remember Mr McMinn. He was a very tall, thin man and when he entered our classroom we all had to stand up and say, "Good Morning, Mr McMinn". In fact, when anyone from outside came into the classroom we had to stand up and greet them like this.

I particularly hated to see the nit nurse. I just forget her name at the minute. We were sent up to her singly; she had a jar of water with dettol added and two ice cream sticks. After dipping the sticks into the dettol mix, she would part our hair into sections, in front of the whole class, gurn up her nose and look for nits. God help the girl or girls who were found to have nits as the whole class would know. Mind you, I don't envy her job now.

I also remember Fr McNamara, but have no bad vibes about him. Then there was Dr Burns, the school doctor. We were sent over to the clinic in Seymour Street to be examined by him. He also was a tall thin man but his hair was black. He was nice.

Hated going to the dentist in the clinic. No injection to freeze your gums, no anaesthetic, just a bloody big drill that hurt like made. AND, no mammy with you - you faced it alone.

See the young ones now - we could show them!!!!!!!

Pat
Nov 18, 2009 - 6:06PM
Bernadette Watkins was in my class at school & was always laughing. I remember being in her house in Tonagh once & we went down past the watering trough to it.

Her Mother was a quiet woman & kept a nice home for them. I know Bernadette Watkins & Chrissie Cunningham & Lily mc Conville all went to England later, maybe not together, but we heard they went to London. Lily is dead but don't know what happened to the others, who were all classmates & all good laughs. Always had a smile on their faces. Devil may care girls.

Pat

Laughing faces
Pat
Nov 18, 2009 - 6:14PM
Fr. Mc Namara came to examine us in our religious instruction before Holy Communion, Confirmation etc

Once he asked some nervous child, "What is Matrimony?

Being nervous the child got mixed up with Pugatory & answered "A place or state of punishment where some souls suffer for a time before they can go to Heaven"

No answer to that one, passed with flying colours.!

Religious exams
Sarah
Nov 18, 2009 - 6:52PM
Ann, some great stories on here at the moment, keep it up. You mentioned Dettol for nits. Well good old Dettol it was used for everything years ago. I remember going to boyds the jeweller to have my ears pierced at the age of 5. Mum got me a bottle of good old Dettol for the offending piercings which had to be washed twice a day..................DID IT STING!!!!ouch. We must have smelt so clean Ann after using it!

Sarah

Email
frank stewart
Nov 19, 2009 - 1:00PM
Barney,at the age of 74 ,I must confess. I did win the Half-Crown on a couple of occasions.Little good that it did me,Brendan Gillen, Haslems Lane,Gerald,Jimmie,Hughie,and all the Smiths,Alfie,Brian.Vincent and all the Woods of Mill View.I'llet you know about all of them!..Frank

Email
Ann
Nov 19, 2009 - 1:57PM
Nurse Anderson was the nit nurse's name.

Low Roader
Nov 19, 2009 - 2:27PM
Quote: frank stewart
Donald,you should tell us about the Elise Milne Barbour Hall .I actually had a connection to the club there through a workmate at Altona,Ronnie Stevenson,though I have no connection to Hilden, they sent me on an adventure course in the Mournes,which was my forte at the time,great fun!......Frank

Frank,
The EMB Hall was built by thr Barbour family and was used by many people.
It was primarily controlled by Railway St Presbyterian church who had I believe a Sunday School there, but had to be available to the children of the area during the week.It was used a lot by children from the park alongside if the weather was bad.
It was also the meeting place of Lisburn Boys Club on two nights a week.
The club originally started in the canteen of the mill in Hilden by Andy Brodie but moved to the EMB after the war.
It had no connection with any other organisation apart from the Northern Ireland Association of Boys Clubs who would have organised your adventure.

Lots of lads from outwith the Hilden area were members as it was the only non-denominational youth club in Lisburn at that time.
Newcastle was a favourite place for the club to camp at and I spent many happy years as a member and made many friends. The annual camps were occasions not to be forgotten (there is a picture in the gallery of some of the boys at Newcastle).
I also had the good fortune to work for a couple of years at Altona so our paths probably crossed.

Letitia,
RS probably keeps a low profile in life nowadays as, being so old as you say, he almost certainly sleeps most of the time and has given up trying to keep up with your hectic social life.
BTW did you ever go the socials in the EMB run by the Boys Club?
Your late, lovely, brother would probably have stopped you making a fool of yourself.
Aldene
Nov 19, 2009 - 3:00PM
You are right, Low Roader regarding the Sunday School in the EMB Hall, all of us Wilsons were sent there each Sunday afternoon,I think it was primarily a ploy by our Mam & Dad to get us out of the way. I enjoyed that Sunday School I must say, one gentleman teacher I remember was a Mr McConnachie who lived opposite Hilden Park, also Gertie Bowman, sister of Artie and daughter of Arthur. Also a lovely lady by the name of Miss McKelvey. The highlight of the Sunday School year was our annual trip to Newcastle,by train in those days, sandwiches and tea was served for us all in the Central Ballroom, I can taste that tea yet, it was so dreadful, stewed to death! Never mind, we all loved these excursions. Sunday mornings we went to Lisburn Cathedral Sunday School and our Dad spent Saturday night polishing our shoes, army style, for the occasion. Their annual excursion was always to Bangor. Andy Brodie or 'Doot' as he was called used to live next door to us in Delacherois Avenue before he moved to the EMB, we used to love to visit him at the EMB as he would let us into the Hall where we could play with all the equipment and toys. Happy days

Email
barney
Nov 19, 2009 - 5:23PM
Quote: Donald
Quote: Ann
Frank, I wonder what happened to Ronnie Stevenson. I remember him as a nice looking blonde boy from Leamington.

Of course he was FAR FAR older than me.

I faintly remember him he was a lot older than us boys and very strict to us

I REMEMBER A JIMMY OR WAS IT TOMMY STEVENSON,HAD HE A SISTER CALLED MADGE??

donald
Ted
Nov 19, 2009 - 5:37PM
Low Roader, I have very happy memories spending a week under canvas in Newcastle with the boys club also climbing to the summit of Sleive Donard and if my memory serves me right we walked down to the Strand Resturant ? for Breakfast & Dinner every day I also remember being in the gimnastic display I think it was given in the Legion? and of course swimming in the pool @ the harbour I think it was the coldest water I was ever in, Andy ran a great club Fond Memories Ted

barney
Nov 19, 2009 - 5:45PM
Hi Dabbler

Brendan (Barney) must be the same age, or maybe a year older than I am. I knew the boys and teachers, but, as I said previously, I started school late. In fact, I was never taught by Bertie, as I didn't even get that far up the ladder in school.
Some other priest, or it may have been macNamara, came to question us on the Irish language.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arn,t you lucky Dabbler never to have been taught by Beardy Fitzimmons, he would not have been out of place in Hitlers Gestapo a sadist if ever there was one,his own son Brian he beat him unconcious one day ,anothr pupil he caned till he fainted was Dennis McGurnaghan,the priest who was into Irish teaching was none other than Father Mullholland, another sadist he carried a blackthorn walking stick, and like Beardy would often have said i,ll beat the back of you, Mullholland slapped the jaws of me one morning at communion because i had my hands over the cloth at the alter rails,2 evil bestards if ever there was any,Leo Phillips would never go to school because of them

Ted
Nov 19, 2009 - 5:59PM
Hi Barney I remember Mullholand at the Crsaders one Sunday calling Devil Smith out of the seat and belting him in the middle aisle in front of all the kids, I am not quite sure but I think it was for mitching, after I moved here to Suffolk many years later I heard he was in a parish near to me but they had to move him, in later years he wasn't to popular. Ted

Low Roader
Nov 19, 2009 - 6:10PM
Quote: Ted
Low Roader, I have very happy memories spending a week under canvas in Newcastle with the boys club also climbing to the summit of Sleive Donard and if my memory serves me right we walked down to the Strand Resturant ? for Breakfast & Dinner every day I also remember being in the gimnastic display I think it was given in the Legion? and of course swimming in the pool @ the harbour I think it was the coldest water I was ever in, Andy ran a great club Fond Memories Ted

Ted,
The camps at Newcastle were something to remember.
You are right about the Strand. Later on we camped in a building beside the railway station in Newcastle and got potato sacks from a farmer near Tullynacross to use as mattresses. We got the straw to fill them at a stable further up the yard in Newcastle and had a whale of a time.We changed our eating to the Golf Hotel which was on the corner where Smiths the newsagent was (the hotel is now a chemist's shop).
I had the task of marching those juniors who attended chapel, down to the one on Main street, before they built the new one, then wating till they came out and marching them back up to the hall.
The best times of my life.
The gym displays by the seniors were considered to be the best of any club in NI and attracted huge crowds wherever they went.
barney
Nov 19, 2009 - 6:27PM
Frank, Dominic mentions Russell Bell, Seamy Reynolds, Jimmy McMillen (Rimmel), Dessie Douglas, Ignatius Brown, Niall and Gerry Murray, Hugh Bradley, Geordie and Jackie Frazer, Francie, Denis and Gerald McGurnaghan, Gerald Stewart.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I knew them all, Shamus(small montana)Reynolds his brothers Dickie,Tony you remember him Frank im sure, Columb who lost half his hand in the spinning room Stewarts Mill, there was a sister Bridie i think her name was
they lived in the last house Brookvale Drive also in those houses were the ,Burns,McCormacks, McGanns, Dochertys,Bedfords,McKees,Roys,Turleys,Murrays those families all lived there then,happy carefree days indeed until the mornin when we all had to go to school

frank stewart
Nov 20, 2009 - 7:38AM
Yes,Ann,Ronnie was a Handsome young man,a very good athlete,and smart.I lost touch as I left Altona and went directly to Canada in July 1957...Frank

Email
Pat
Nov 20, 2009 - 8:43AM
Frank,

Time makes grumpy old men & women of us all.

Pat

Time marches on
Hildenboy
Nov 20, 2009 - 4:16PM
I attended the boys club at the EMB but was never allowed to go camping. I recall the gymnastic displays and the athletic races in Hilden park. I competed once wearing wellinton boots and came last and started to cry. My Da told me "dont worry son if you had gutties on you would have got the gold medal."

« | ‹ | 1 | 2 | › | »
Index > General > Lisburn Exiles Forum > Re: OLD SCHOOLS

Barney
Thanks for the memories