Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Searching

Barry McGuigan was featherweight champion of the world. Born on the border between Northern Ireland and Eire, just inside the Republic, he married a Protestant girl from the North. Asked what he considers his greatest achievement, this great wee man will tell you it is what he has done for his people, North and South. His very proud wee dad united the spectators at QPR football ground as he and they sang Danny Boy before the Clones Cyclone squqred up to the unbeaten World champion Pedroza. Barry willl tell you that his dad wasn't just singin to his biggest ever audience; he was singing to HIM, to his son, who was going into battle against a dangerous opponent. That Barry won and brought pride to his family and to all Ireland is now part of history. Barry McGuigan has moved on, is living happily with his family in the English countryside, and carries with him proud memories. But ask him if he has any regrets and he will tell you through tears that he would like his brother to have been around to share his family happiness. He wishes that his brother had shared his thoughts and worries instead of committing suicide.
I share all the feelings of this sad proud Irishman.

I am told that my own wee brother used to sing Danny Boy to my parents and siblings, whilst they wondered if I were alive. I wish he were alive today to sing it to me.