Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tony Stephenson

Sorry to let you know that Tony Stephenson passed away last week. Tony was an engineer in Hilden Mill. He lived in the Low Rd when he was younger with his sister Ann and his Mother who was Kitty Mccartney. His Father was in the RAF. He is married to Norma nee Smyth and they have one son and three grandchildren. He was a real gentleman
Margaret

Re: Tony Stephenson

Margaret
I got to know Tony around 1957 when he returned from England and was in my class at Lisburn Tech. Around 1960 he started work in Hilden mill as an apprentice sheet metal worker and later worked in the drawing office. Last time I talked to him was at the book reading from G. Orr in the Assembly Rooms some years ago. Ann and Pat were also there. If I,m not mistaken my aunts knew his mother, either by working together or at Hilden school. I remember Tony as an intelligent, friendly and helpful boy.
donald

I did mention Tony's death, but it was in another, unconnected posting. I heard about his death after we returned from Donegal. I had known Tony since 1961 when we both worked in Barbour Threads, he as a draughtsman and me as an invoice typist. I found Tony quite a shy but friendly person and we always had a word or two together when we met in later years in Lisburn. I know Norma too, although only as Tony's wife. I remember her father, Andy Smith, who was Pat's manager in Barbour's Testing Dept. I'm sure Norma will miss him very much. Sad that another person of my decade has gone. May he rest in peace.

Margaret & all,

The Stevenson's lived behind Granny's house in Hilden Avenue, as it was then, before they went to England. His Father was in the R.A.F. & they went to a Barracks there. His young sister was murdered on her way to post a letter to her friend in Lisburn. It arrived after her murder. Some of you will remember the case in the papers.

The family later returned home to Lisburn.

The Drawing Office was next door to the Testing Dept in Barbour's & Tony worked there. I saw him every day during working hours. He was a quiet sensible fellow with a dry humour. I met him last at Mr. Fleming's Book Launch in the Assembly Rooms, a few years ago. He was the same Tony then.

Sorry to hear of his passing & my Sympathy to his wife & family.
May he in peace.

Pat