Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: empty forum

yes mauri, football is good fun. i played at brownlee, when i went to wallace at age 11 they played rugby, but the teacher at brownlee got me permission to go to brownlee wednesday afternoon to play for brownlee. i played in the air force, also in aden in that heat. the arabs were lying in the shade of trees fanning themselves and we 22 were funning around, sweat blinding us as they say.
when i left the air force i worked in a few places , cause i was in england, and carried on playing until i came to australia. all finished then, no interest in "aussie rules " so, enjoyed it all.
tom

Tom, We had a full size or close to it football pitch at the back of the Central. Though we only played on it occasionaly. The most football I played in Northern Ireland was for the Junior Training Corps of the CLB at Christ Church. We had a league composed mostly of the Belfast units so we were often in differant parts of Belfast playing. If we won we would race round to the Ulster office to put the results in the paper, but if we lost we didn't bother???, this was of course during the war years. Mauri

Men's football is bad enough. Now that women have become involved, I'm absolutely disgusted. Have they nothing better to do like dancing or cooking a nice meal!!!!!!!!

Ann & all Convent girls,

Remember the teaching of the nuns on how be ladies...

Do NOt run, walk quickly, do NOT eat in the street, do NOT shout speak quietly, do NOT play rough games, etc etc. Do

Not forget to set an example to others of ladylike behaviour.

Have we succeeded..?! Pat

Failed miserably I would say. However, being serious for a minute, the nuns DID try to make us ladies or at least act in a ladylike manner. "Speak quietly" and "No shouting". " Always carry a handkerchief and you're never a lady without your gloves" I never forgot that one about the gloves and I quote it often, especially in the wintertime. They meant well, looked upon us as their family, and were accomplished teachers, encouraging us to read good literature. There was even a small library in the school for borrowing books. They taught us to sing and showed us how to read the notes from the blackboard. We didn't appreciate how good an education we were getting at the time, but I certainly gained from their hard work and patience in trying to instil in us good morality for when we left their care.

Pat & Ann, I remember lines of girls from the convent with a Nun at the back and a Nun at the front walking on the sidewalk up the Longstone, why would they be going that way,this was during the war years. Mauri

Mauri, if you mean Chapel Hill the nuns would have been taking the pupils up to the dreaded Confessional. We were brought up in an orderly line, two girls together, once a month. We were instructed to behave nicely and not let the school down. I say the "dreaded" confessional. As it was, being youngsters we had nothing to tell. Later on,..............................!!! a different story.

No Ann, I meant the Longstone way above the Chapel, in fact I can remember them passing our house on the other side of the street and we lived in Lismara Terrace at the corner of Warren Gardens and the Longstone, maybe they were just out for a walk ??, Mauri

N

Mauri, you may be right about them being out for a walk. Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

Re: Convent girls in Longstone

Could they have been visiting the cemetery>

Dabbler, I don't imagine the nuns would have been taking the girls to visit the cemetery, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone else (a lurker?) would know.

My dear lady KK,
I do not wish to appear argumentative but one would have thought that you, as a pupil, would possibly have partaken in one of these events or, was it, as seems likely, have been the case that you were an idle individual who spent their time in more mundane tasks such as cookery?

Dabbler, They were passing in front of our house which was nowhere near the entrance to the cemetary, I can't remember the year or if it was before I left home in late 1945 or maybe when I was on leave, not that it matters It was just one of those memories that was brought up by Pat and Ann talking about the convent. Mauri

Low Roader, pay attention to the content of Mauri's posting and you will realise that it would have been impossible for me to have been walking up the Longstone. The time he mentions is during the war years. I know you are of a great age now, but remember that not all of us are as old as you. At the time Mauri mentions I would have been a baby. Na, na, na na na.!!!!!!!!