Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beattie Memorial Hall

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could assist me in finding the deed holder of the Beattie Memorial Hall off Graham Street, Lisburn?

I'm aware that the A.R.P's built it after the war so that they would have a place to continue darts and that they founded the Temperence League. I also know that Tommy Bann and a number of his friends built the place and that he renamed the hall after Bob Beattie died.

If anyone has any further information, I would be very glad to hear!

Re: Beattie Memorial Hall

Ruth, If my memory serves me right the Beattie Memorial Hall was built before the war and was owned by the Congregational Church nearby, maybe Beano who lived close by would know more. Tommy Bann was the Father of a good friend of mine. Mauri

Hi Ruth.

Everything you have said is the way I would have described it. The hall was built 49/50 and the last person I recall "holding the keys" was Bob Beattie's son-in-law Bob Armour from the Hillhall Rd., however I left Lisburn in 1961. This is the best I can do for you.

Beano

Hi Ruth,

I remember getting a request from a Chris McComb in the new year about the deeds for Beattie Memorial. If Chris is looking in on this Forum I have to apologize for not returning your e-mail. My son had just passed away at that time, about two weeks later I lost all my hard drive, which included all my contacts......sorry Chris.

Beano

Thank-you very much for your prompt replies. It was very helpful! I do appreciate it!

Beano, do you know what family Bob Armour had? By any chance did he have a son that was named Tommy?

Sorry to hear about the passing away of your son. Something no parent should ever have to deal with!

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your kind thoughts regarding our son Stephen, you are right I wouldn't want any family to go through it.

I don't think the Armour's had any family that I recall. Do you know Daphne Sloan (McNeill) she has lived on the Hillhall Rd all her life and is very well known in the Co.Down, if anyone knows anything about the Armour family, she will.

Beano