Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pilot of Aircraft that dropped Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima

Mauri and 40coats
Thanks for your considered comments, which add to my knowledge, and coincide with my opinion, and help ease my conscience.
Joe

Fortycoats and Mauri. Phew! that was a fascinating read. I'm glad you posted it in otherwise I would never have heard that interview. It was just spellbinding, a minute by minute account up to the very minute the bomb was dropped. I don't know if there was another way to end the war, as I'm not into the workings of the military, but this way worked. There are always lives lost in any conflict, which is regrettable, but I also think the end justifies the means.

Ann, I was only 21 when I visited Hiroshima during one of our routine stop overs in Kure Japan this was during the Korean War. At the time I was with a group of other guys and yes it was an erie experience but I don't think I really appreciated the significance of what had taken place as much as I would today.?As to whether it was a good decision to drop the bomb and then a second one on Nagasaki, that will be something I think will be debated for evermore. Mauri