Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back from an unexpected holiday

We have just spent a very enjoyable week in Co Clare. Pat rang and invited us to have the use of her cottage while she was in Spain. We didn't hesitate in accepting her offer. SO, we set off last Thursday, Tess as well, and headed the 220 miles. Took us about 5 hours, including a half hour stop for lunch. I thought I would be able to keep in touch with the Exiles via my tablet, but the darned thing wouldn't work down there, hence the absence of news from me. We had a lovely, relaxing week in the countryside, surrounded by fields and cows. The birdsong was really beautiful as we sat out in the garden and we saw rabbits, hares, pheasants and wild cats in our journeys up and down the boreen. I'll write no more as this may be spammed but just to let you know I'm back.

Re: Back from an unexpected holiday

Welcome back Ann, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Clare. I have had several trips to the south way back in the 70s and enjoyed them immensly. One time my wife and I decided to take a trip over to Lisburn without telling anybody this was back when we both had family connections there. Well we had booked on a flight with a company called ONTARIO AIR to Belfast, at the last minute we were told because the flight did not have enough passengers booked to Belfast the flight would end at ``Shannon``. So on arriving there we rented a car for the drive to Lisburn but only after we were on the road did we discover that all the Service Stations were closed because of a strike by the drivers of the trucks that deliverd the gasoline so by the time we got to the border the car was sucking fumes but lucky enough we made it in to Newry where the service stations were open and were able to fill up there. By the time we were ready to drive back to Shannon the strike was over so that was no problem. Mauri

Re: Back from an unexpected holiday

Mauri, Dominic filled up on fuel before we left the Republic. I don't know if the fuel was cheaper there or if it was the exchange rate, but it was a good deal for him. I take no interest in these things. (duh)