Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hilden long ago

I can't remember his father, died when I was very young. They lived in the second or third house on the top of Bridge Street. Also had a sister Maragret how moved to Oxford.

Low Roader I may be mistaken but I have a feeling we once gave a display in the British Legion hall in Wallace Ave ? Would that ring a bell,By the way thanks for the link I will try it on the computer later this morning Kind Regards Ted

Hi Low Roader Success at last,the photo brings back memories of about 90% of the members who I would have known from the road, this photo was taken many years before I joined.My Mum was a smoother in Glenmore and I think some of the Kirkwoods worked there and he told her to send me down consequently that's how I got ineisheated in the club and it still holds great memories for me especially some of the senior members who seem to give there time very freely .great times were had by all ! Regards Ted

Ted,
You are quite right, in fact some of the club appeared at a few displays as their expertise was recognised as being in advance of anything being done in the town. The McCabe brothers (Johnny & Bobby) were particularly good. BTW you will notice a very young "Panky" Waters in the photograph.
The club also had a very good football team at one time , competing in the Northern Ireland Association of Boys Clubs(NIABC) league against teams mostly from Belfast. The NewsBoys Club was a notable competitor at this time.
Donald,
Yes, Sammy Lynn was a member as was at least one of the Kirkwoods.

Donald, Joe Fisher was and is a lovely man. He was the boss in No 6 Reeling. My mother was a reeler there and she had a very good word to say of him. Sometimes Joe came into our office to see the manager or attend a meeting. He always smiled and spoke to us and I think he was even a bit shy. I last saw him some months ago in Lisburn with his wife.

Ann,

If it is the same Joe Fisher, he was a fellow worker in Barbour's,
a good-looking quiet man, looked like Dennis Morgan, the film star, I always thought, saw Joe last in Green's, where he was working for his stamps for the pension.

Glad to hear he is alive & well. A nice family, the Fishers, from Millbrook.

His brother Nevin died years ago, another decent fellow. Joe knew him well in Mooney's, where they all met on a Saturday afternoon, in the good old days.
Pat

Pat

Ann,

If it is the same Joe Fisher, he was a fellow worker in Barbour's,

a good-looking quiet man, looked like Dennis Morgan, the film star, I always thought, saw Joe last in Green's, where he was working for his stamps for the pension.

Glad to hear he is alive & well. A nice family, the Fishers, from Millbrook.

His brother Nevin died years ago, another decent fellow. Joe knew him well in Mooney's, where they all met on a Saturday afternoon, in the good old days.

Pat

Ann Pat
When I worked in Hilden in 1959 Joe Fisher was overseer in No.6 That is almost 55 years ago, when did you see him working in Greens?
donald

I have another name to conjure with - Billy Lyness(or Lynas) who lived in the front row in Hilden.
I wonder where?

billy lyness lived in no 168 mill st next door to us. I wonder that the hilden font of all things hilden didn't jump in on that one. SMIRK

Because I was waiting for you to make a mistake. It was Nr.170 where BOTH of them lived = Billy the father who was a spray painter in Altona AND Billy the son who served an apprenticeship in Hilden as a fitter and did some painting and decorating in his spare time. SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK!!!

I never found out why the factory where Shorts produced parts was called Altona, there is an area of Hamburg which is called Hamburg Altona, I have been there often for union conferences and as a observer in the Labour Tribunal Hearings in the courthouse situated there. Anyone out there know?
the Hilden font

your definitely drinking too much augustiner (or not enough). we lived in 169 mill st. next door to us was billy lyness. sons david & ken daughter was called nora. SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK. come on Pamela settle this once and for all please.

Donald, it is a good few years now since Joe Fisher worked in Greens. However, in Greens he definitely worked, and, as Pat says, although I never thought of it at the time, probably to make up his stamps towards a pension.

Eamon
Wanna bet? the house numbers started at the top and increased going down, Aunt Tessie lived in 159

SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK
donald

I don't dispute the number system in hilden. the enquiry was about billy lyness. the facts are as stated no matter what it said on the door. help! Pamela.

Eamon, it was only when you mentioned Norah that I remembered the Lyness family. I only knew Norah, mind you; I recall her as a tall, thin girl with long, curly hair. Something tells me that she died, but I'm not sure. Maybe Pamela will let us know.

Donald and Eamon, you're both as bad as Pat and me. Sibling rivalry.!!!!!!!! Behave. You're both brilliant.

Ann
you are correct, Norah died very young, Ken went to Hilden school together with your late brother Joseph and I in the same class.
donald

Ann, Eamon, & Donald, I wouldn't come between two brothers, but the Lynes family lived in 170 we lived in 166. There were three children, Billy Norah and David. Your right Ann Norah died many years ago I think she had two little boys.Poor we things. Must go and watch Mr.Selfridge. See you all tomorrow. Pam

Pamela
you forgot to mention Kenneth who was born around 1944, similar to your twin brothers and went to Hilden school.
donald

Like others when I write about Linenhall Street,I cannot add much to Hilden. My only connection was the Corrigan family, related to me via my mother. Anyone still alive from that family may wish to know that Patsy's name is engraved in the War Memorial at Plymouth.

Dabbler, I would love to hear from other people in the town and what they got up to. You know, people from around Smithfield, the Co Down or the Longstone. Surely the Low Road and Hilden weren't the only places where there was a community. Or was it????

Ann
Dabbler, I would love to hear from other people in the town and what they got up to. You know, people from around Smithfield, the Co Down or the Longstone. Surely the Low Road and Hilden weren't the only places where there was a community. Or was it????

Pipers Hill and Linenhall St are also for me interesting, my Great Uncle Barney Watters and his wife Cassie lived there. If my memory serves me right there was a shirt factory and it was rumoured that ghosts ran about. The toss, gasworks and back lane also ring bells.
donald

Dabbler
Like others when I write about Linenhall Street,I cannot add much to Hilden. My only connection was the Corrigan family, related to me via my mother. Anyone still alive from that family may wish to know that Patsy's name is engraved in the War Memorial at Plymouth.

Dabbler
I remember the Corrigan family, they lived in Bridge St. Bernadette I think married a Lowroader named Ferris.
donald

Donald, I think you knew them better than I did. Bernadette, Alice, and Joseph were around in the sixties.

Dabbler Around 1956-57 I ran into Joe in Louton were we proceeded to a bar called the Compass's were to say the least we really pushed the boat out and after coming out of the bar I fell and ended up in Luton & Dunstable hospital with about 3or 4 stitches in my head and one of the worst hangovers you could imagine, I don't think our pathes ever crossed since that day.Regards Ted

The last house in the back row(Bridge Street) in Hilden, had, I am sure,
a wee shop where you could buy the most delicious candy apples.
Am I dreaming?

Lowroader , Do you mean the last house down by the back race? Pamela

Pamela,
I meant the last house before the school gates. Next to it was the road that joined Mill St. and Bridge St. and went down to the mill gates.

Ted
Dabbler Around 1956-57 I ran into Joe in Louton were we proceeded to a bar called the Compass's were to say the least we really pushed the boat out and after coming out of the bar I fell and ended up in Luton & Dunstable hospital with about 3or 4 stitches in my head and one of the worst hangovers you could imagine, I don't think our pathes ever crossed since that day.Regards Ted

Ted
I had a pint or two in that pub in Hightown Road in the sixties. I didn't meet Joe, though I lived and had a wee shop a few hundred yards from there.

Low Roader
The last house in the back row(Bridge Street) in Hilden, had, I am sure,

a wee shop where you could buy the most delicious candy apples.

Am I dreaming?

No Lowroader you are not, I remember my aunt Peg telling me that about Dan and Lissie Fitzsimmons who lived facing the girls entrance making and selling toffee apples. They cooked the toffee in a pot on the open fire and then dipped the apples which were skewered on sticks hewn from firewood into the pot and set them to harden upon the enamel tin below the hearth. They were then sold for 1d each. The health authorities would have a field day now.
donald

Dabbler The evening in question when I meet Joe I had just come out of a pub called the George and I had been drinking in the Tap Room does it ring a bell ?

1 2 3