Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VE Day

Ann, Your wee fat ma and my wee skinny ma probably wouldn't have thought much of each other' but I suspect they both deserved that nickname.

On VE Day, Linenhall Street was lined with bunting, and right outside the Hibernian Hall (The Wee Hall) rows of tables full of food and drinks lined the street - I can close my eyes and taste the jelly. Bless 'em all, those lovely people who provided and dished out the goodies, bless 'em all, the Protestants, Catholics and all.

Ann,Dabbler, I remember VE day very well, I was working in Lisburn Post Office and we had the day off, for some reason I went to Belfast and mingled with the crowds around Belfast City Hall, in the evening I came back to Lisburn and watched the street lights go on for the first time in nearly six years,
Yes Ann bananas were just about nonexistent in Ulster during the war, however I always remember being on a trip to Bray with my Aunt and several others in 1943 and bringing back bananas we had purchased down there, I showed off my banana by riding my bike down the Longstone with no hands and peeling my banana for all the world to see.??? stupid antics of a 15 year old????. Mauri