Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: a meeting in the wee park

Dabbler, I would love to have seen you ski-ing. Were you good? Did you fall? I've never skied, nor had any desire to either. I love the sun too much. Lying on a lounger in the mediterranean with blue skies, sun and the sea rippling in the background - perfect!!! Paat will enjoy that very soon.

Dabbler
Ann

I have skied The Three Valleys in the Alps, and still remember the thrill of 'the big slide'.

dabbler
which Alps are you talking about ( French)? And by the big slide do you mean an avalanche?
donald

Ann and Donald,

in middle age I learned, a tiny man, I skied with younger, bigger, fitter people from Meribel to Val Thorens and back. I wasn't great, had a few falls , but for a wee Paddy from Bullicks Court - JAZUS!I was something else. The big slide was in the wee park in the County Down, where Alan Cree held ten year old Joan Leanster still while I kissed her - God bless both.

Dabbler,

I have wonderful memories of the "wee" park,the big slide,the swings,where we went as high as we could and jump off to impress the girls. Incidentally I sat beside Joan Leinster in Sloan St.school,she was a nice looking girl,didn't think much of me though.

Beano

Beano, I've got to go out this morning. It is nice to see you here again. One of these days I'll stop popping in here, and, as my first contact on the site, it would be nice if you were my last. Joan Leanster> She was a lovely child, just about my earliest infatuation, who had no interest in me whatsoever; hence Alan holding her on the slide and inviting me to kiss her, knowing I had a mad urge to do so. Yvette McLoughlin was a much younger child, who was being 'minded' by an older child who told me about Joe singing to her.
Billy, I know I write a load of tripe on here, but I'm 'listening too. I am well aware of your poor son's trials and tribulations, and the worry that must have caused you and Doreen.I truly wish you the very best of everything in the future.
Joe

Beano, Dabbler

I remember Joan Leinster. I think she was the older sister of Dorry who was more my age. The family lived in Well Lane, a few doors up from us. I remember Joan as a young mother of a little girl, she was smiley and rounded, a pleasant woman who I think went to live in Gregg Street.

Hi Dabbler,

Thank you for all you kind thoughts for Doreen and myself. It has been a rough two and a half years for all our family, we miss Stephen so much.

Liz,

You are right, Dorry is Joan's younger sister, do you happen to know who Joan married???. She was quite keen on Heck McAllister in her mid teens,Dabbler you remember Heck as well!!!!

Beano

hi beano
I know your the same age as me but your memory is a lot better than mine,we went through school together with a lot of great looking girls but we did not get noticed a lot,i noticed patsy Patterson and lorna frazer,im the first to admit I was no film star in those days.i had to go outside the county down to get a wife that was 50years ago still holding firm.
jean keeps asking how you and Doreen are coping
regards to you both lovely to see you on here.

Hi Gregg St.Boy,

Great to hear from you,I have to admit I had a crush on Patsy and Lorna at school myself, again, cast aside like an old boot. Will definitely call you in a couple of days, love to Jean..

I also owe my old buddy Tommy McKay a call, I haven't been on the ball the last few months, still, getting there bit by bit.

Beano

we used to play quite a bit in the wee park as well. i just typed an account of someone else in australia i run across and it was spammed?
just a wee yarn??

Beano, It's great to see you getting on with life.
I DO remember Heck, though we met but briefly. I also remember his older brother having a couple of street fights down at the toss in 'The Hollow'. If alive, they would not remember me. I am more truthful than modest when I say I waa insignificant.

No Beano

I did not know who Joan married. Great to see you getting back to form.

Regards
Liz

Hi Billy & Doreen

Great to hear you are back on the exiles , do not worry or be concerned about a phone call .As you have enough in your life at the moment . Take care of Doreen ,and the family .
Regarding school days , .the girl in our class ,who set hearts a flutter mine included ,was blond Norma Briggs who lived on the moira road . A memories of happy days .

Billy & Doreen hope your pain eases , on the days ahead.
Take care ,old mate !
Regards!
Tommy

Dabbler,

All the McAllister boys have all passed on with the exception of Norman(Heck).
Frankie,Percy,Gordon,Bertie, and Walter it was probably Bertie who got into the scraps, he did a bit of boxing at the same time as Billy Thompson,he could have a short fuse at times.

Beano

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for all your nice words we both appreciate them very much.
I remember "Norma Briggs" she was a right cracker. Norma was a close friend of Daphne Sloan, that's how I met her.

Love to Evelyn and take care the both of you

Billy(Beano)

Ann,

Earlier I had written a nice post about meeting a fellow Irishman yesterday,like Tom I got spammed.....will try again later in a different post.

Beano

beano,
i remember a hec mc allister, maybe through barbour playing fields and football. did he go to brownlee? christ church clb? tom

Hi Tom,

Heck went to Largymore and Sloan St.P.E.S., he was a great right back and played for Barnsley Star and Lambeg Bleachers. He did play a lot of football in the "Playing Fields" with a few of us from the Co.Down,I don't remember him being a member of any of the youth organisations.

Beano