Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VE Day

I personally do not remember VE Day, even though I was 4 years old. However, I watched a programme the other night where various celebrities were recalling their memories of VE Day. Some of them were only 3 years old at the time so I presume their parents must have recounted the events to them. It was so interesting to hear how people greeted the news of the ending of the war and the celebrations that followed. I asked Pat if she had any memories and she told me she had. I'll let her tell about them herself.

Re: VE Day

I don't know why, but I have a fascination with the last war. All this week there have been programmes on BBC covering various happenings during the war. All sorts of topics from rationing, and the absence of bananas especially, to "growing your own" veg. Children got hand-me-downs from older siblings, including myself, and apparently the diet at that time was very healthy, albeit limited. Maybe that's why Dominic and I have such good teeth - the lack of sweets and sugary foods. I'm glad I wasn't an adult then as it must have been very frightening. When the Blitz came to Belfast, I knew from the date (April) that my mother had been 7 months pregnant with me. Must have been terrifying for her. The programmes were really interesting. I don't know if anyone else saw them or if they were shown anywhere else other than over here but they were great viewing, if that's your taste.

On VE Day, Linenhall Street was lined with bunting, and right outside the Hibernian Hall (The Wee Hall) rows of tables full of food and drinks lined the street - I can close my eyes and taste the jelly. Bless 'em all, those lovely people who provided and dished out the goodies, bless 'em all, the Protestants, Catholics and all.

Ann,Dabbler, I remember VE day very well, I was working in Lisburn Post Office and we had the day off, for some reason I went to Belfast and mingled with the crowds around Belfast City Hall, in the evening I came back to Lisburn and watched the street lights go on for the first time in nearly six years,
Yes Ann bananas were just about nonexistent in Ulster during the war, however I always remember being on a trip to Bray with my Aunt and several others in 1943 and bringing back bananas we had purchased down there, I showed off my banana by riding my bike down the Longstone with no hands and peeling my banana for all the world to see.??? stupid antics of a 15 year old????. Mauri

Ann, After the Air Raids on Belfast, the Central School was turned into a evacuation centre of some sort and so the pupils were out of school for some six weeks on top of the normal summer shut down, at the time we thought it was great not really appreciating the seriousness of what was going on. Mauri

Dabbler and Mauri great to hear your memories from all those years ago. Watched a great programme this evening on BBC celebrating 70 years since VE day. All the songs from that time, dancing, old newsreels and even letters read out from servicemen who failed to return. Very sad to hear their own thoughts that they might not survive and leaving instructions in that event.

I typed & sent a reply but where it went is a mystery so here goes again.

My Memories of V.E.Day is as clear as today.

Grand St. lined with happy people, laughing & cheering, talking & dancing & kissing each other while we were kept behind the front garden gate.!!!

Mrs. Dickson, who had a small shop invited all the children to a party in her back garden, where she had long tables laden with goodies from the shop, cakes, sweets, buns, lollipops & lemonade. A great day was had by all. We went to bed & I believe the grown-ups continued the celebrations until morning.

Peace at last, fathers returning & families reunited, deservedly celebratory.

Pat

To continue,

As for the day the big yellow Fyffes van arrived to Dickson's shop we children lined the street waiting patiently while crates were unloaded & then we had the chance to purchase the first fruit we had never tasted.....DELICIOUS. Then & now it is a favourite of mine.

Ever after, eating one reminds me of that eventful day & evokes memories of the end of the War.

Pat

P.S. Do you know eating a banana at bedtime is supposed to induce a good night's sleep.

Pat, that's correct about a banana being beneficial in helping sleep. It's the potassium apparently. I suppose everyone knows that anyhow.

Prefer a few pints of beer
donald

Donald,

I prefer a couple of glasses of good white wine, 120 or Fleurie comes to mind.

Pat

Donald. Beer equals beer belly. Fine wine sounds better. My preferred tipple now is Pellegrina sparkling water, more friendly to the gut. Doesn't help with the sleep mind you. Can't have everything.

Talking about the gut made me think of my mother. She, too, suffered with IBS and diverticular disease. Coincidentally, it was her birthday yesterday. She would have been 108, but died when she was only 79. We left flowers on her grave and I actually wished her a happy birthday. (sad, eh). However, to keep things lighter, which was the reason for this post: My mother's nickname when she was young was "guts". She wasn't fat, but she loved her food, same as myself. Unfortunately, she would have needed to change her eating habits too, but didn't understand her condition and ate everything as usual. Her nickname was ironic I think, but makes me smile too.

Ann, Your wee fat ma and my wee skinny ma probably wouldn't have thought much of each other' but I suspect they both deserved that nickname.