Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ahern on Carl Frampton

http://www.irish-boxing.com/video-hearn-let-me-make-you-rich/

Re: Ahern on Carl Frampton

Thanks Barney. This is REAL. I'm not sure everything is. I am either very intuitive or very paranoid. My brother Maurice could tell me.
If I am paranoid, he is completely trustworthy.

Barney - Barry Hearn. But never mind that; I just now enjoyed some November 2006 posts, mentioning the Logues, Patsy and Billy, priests Mulholland and MacCauley, and lots more people I knew.

think all the logues dead now, patsy has never been heard of this long many a day now around 40/50 years

Dabbler
Barney - Barry Hearn. But never mind that; I just now enjoyed some November 2006 posts, mentioning the Logues, Patsy and Billy, priests Mulholland and MacCauley, and lots more people I knew.

I still remember the father Jack Logue, touching his forelock in Mill Street Hilden when Jack Barbour passed. respect was shown then. When I was a child living at the Locks around 1948 there was a field belonging to the Simpson family and Jack sowed corn there , strewing it from a sack with his hand.
donald

Barney
I know that I will probably have outlived most of those I remember from childhood, and that most of them, like myself, did little of note. I also know that talking to myself here is daft. But I hope that one day someone will spot a comment here and will catch a glimpse of the simple life of a forgotten relative.
Patsy Logue, for example, was never going to win many prizes for reading and writing. He used to mitch school to go searching for golf balls; and, years later, when he returned from England, a failed jockey, he stood in the bookies and reminded us that very few could say, as he could, that they had jumped the second last alongside the great Tim Maloney. We listened agog, like he was Cool Hand Luke.

Dabbler
I may be confusing Patsy Logue with someone else but I seem to remember a hairdresser named Logue, not Eddie who had a saloon in Bridge St. working in a saloon in Grand St, Lowroad after returning from " across the scheugh " and later in Bridge St. That is over 50 years ago so my old mind may be playing tricks with me.
donald

Dabbler
Barney

I know that I will probably have outlived most of those I remember from childhood, and that most of them, like myself, did little of note. I also know that talking to myself here is daft. But I hope that one day someone will spot a comment here and will catch a glimpse of the simple life of a forgotten relative.

Patsy Logue, for example, was never going to win many prizes for reading and writing. He used to mitch school to go searching for golf balls; and, years later, when he returned from England, a failed jockey, he stood in the bookies and reminded us that very few could say, as he could, that they had jumped the second last alongside the great Tim Maloney. We listened agog, like he was Cool Hand Luke.

Patsy was with fred rimell stable back then,i am sure you may bemember BERTIE MORROW ,who used to ride galloway braes many years ago,i remember bertie as a mechanic in stewarts mill think he was placed in the gold cup at cheltenham on that horse

Donald
Patsy, Billy and Arthur are names from the same family. I think, but am not sure, they may have been related to Pat and Leo McCaugherty uf Antrim Place. I sincerely hope they never got involved in The Troubles. Danny was only a nine stoner, but was a heavy drinker who was reputedly willing to pull on the gloves with much bigger cops at the station when arrested.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=KAswVYraFc2q8weL34HYDA&gws_rd=ssl#q=galloway+braes+steeplechaser

may refresh your memory this

Yes Barney, I remember Bobby Morrow, and the fine chaser Galloway Braes.
As for Fred Rimell, I felt like I knew him. as well as all the trainers and jockeys of Britain and Treland.

donald
Dabbler

I still remember the father Jack Logue, touching his forelock in Mill Street Hilden when Jack Barbour passed. respect was shown then. When I was a child living at the Locks around 1948 there was a field belonging to the Simpson family and Jack sowed corn there , strewing it from a sack with his hand.

donald
the father of the Logues we mean was called Arthur,they used to live in the Dummys Lane in a bungalow vacated by the Anderson family who as far as i can recall had moved to the Low Road Sammy was the father he was in airforce or the army and he had a very large family,at the dances sammy used to dance round the floor on his own

It´s a different family then, the Logues I remember lived in Tullynacross, Eddie owned a hairdressers in Bridge St, Patsy Dornan from Hilden worked there. Later another brother returned from England and either opened or worked in a hairdressers in Grand. St.
donald

Donald
Patsy and Sally Dornan lived in or near Gregg Street with their girls. A baby boy was still born in the fifties. They managed to have him baptized - Patrick Joseph. I worked in the Island Mill with the mum. She was very kind to me.
I enjoyed a drink with Pat and Sally in a Bridge Street pub. He was quite a good singer. Bobby Robinson was an outstanding singer. He sounded very much like Ronnie Hilton, and I used to wonder that he was never 'spotted'.

John Mercer
Apr 10, 2015 - 10:47AM
Quote Reply Grand National
There is a Lisburn connection to the National.
Robert (Bert) Morrow from the Co Down rode in five Nationals.
He rode Whispering Steel @ 9-1 but was brought down at the 1st jump.
rode the same horse @50-1 and fell at the 8th jump
He rode Must @7-1 and fell at the 1st jump
He rode Four Ten and fell at the 28th jump only 2 more to go and he would have finished.
He rode Must again and fell @ 6th.
I seem to remember him bieng driven around the town on the back o a lorry, maybe someone could verify this.
I am playing golf with his brother Billy tomorrow at the course inside the Maze racetrack.
Beano will know the Morrow family well.

ANOTHER ONE I RECALL FROM LISBURN WAS BILLY PRESS WHO DID A BIT OF BOXING

Billy Press
Global ID 247039
sex male
division lightweight
country United Kingdom
residence United Kingdom
birth place Lisburn, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
won 4 (KO 3) + lost 6 (KO 4) + drawn 0 = 10
rounds boxed 47 KO% 30
biography

Lb St Kg | ↑date↓ | ratings off on | print
date opponent W-L-D last 6 location
1952-06-14 Gerry O'Neill 20-4-2
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1952-02-09 Dan Breen 9-1-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 6 6x3
1952-01-05 Ray Brown 2-8-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 8 8x3
1951-11-03 John Jim Griffen 6-5-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 3 8x3
1950-12-09 John Jim Griffen 1-3-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 2 6x3
1949-06-04 Charlie Neeson 1-0-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L TKO 2 8x3
1949-01-29 Bertie Todd 2-4-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W TKO 3 8x3
1948-08-18 Ray Brown 0-1-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W PTS 6 6x3
Boxing News 25 August 1948
1948-08-07 jim george 0-1-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 4
Boxing News 18 August 1948
1948-08-04 Jim Irvine 1-1-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W RTD 5 6x3
Boxing News 18 August 1948

verified unverified unsanctioned

Bert Morrow
Global ID 688307
sex male
residence Lisburn, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
won 1 (KO 1) + lost 2 (KO 1) + drawn 0 = 3
rounds boxed 9 KO% 33.33
biography

Lb St Kg | ↑date↓ | ratings off on | print
date opponent W-L-D last 6 location
1949-04-16 Jim Gifford 1-0-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L KO 2 8x3
1949-03-26 Ernie Ormerod 7-7-0
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom W KO 1 8x3
1948-08-14 Max Brady 67-34-9
Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom L PTS 6 6x3
Source: Boxing News 25/08/1948 page 15

verified unverified unsanctioned

Barney

You have added much to my knowledge, and reawakened my interest in sports I enjoyed long ago. Thanks!

Dabbler
Barney

You have added much to my knowledge, and reawakened my interest in sports I enjoyed long ago. Thanks!

there was another one of the logues called Danny he had been in the army 2nd war

Danny Logue was a close friend, albeit a drunken one, of our family.