Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Easter weekend

Going to try my hand at some small talk, Easter is not realy a big holiday here,Good Friday is a Statutary Holiday but Easter Monday is only a holiday for Government and Bank Employees. Weather here the past couple of days been really mild compared to what we have been having also nice and sunny.

Friday night we had the whole family over for dinner in the main dining room well not quite the whole family three were unable to make it they missed out on a good dinner choice of two meals. Then last night Joy and myself went to a Pizza restaurant for dinner which was something for me as I am not a great pizza lover, however I had the Hawaian one which comes with Pineapple so was pretty good. Tonight we will be at a friend's house for a turkey dinner and Monday night we will be out again at a restaurant, so has been a sort of hectic weekend. Hope everybody had or are having a enjoyable Easter Weekend. Mauri

Re: Easter weekend

Mauri, you seem to have had a pretty good Easter weekend, wining and dining. We enjoyed the weekend too, as my youngest daughter and husband were here. We had dinner at home on Friday night but dined out on Saturday and Sunday, which was a treat for me. It was great to have their company. My daughter, who's in nursing, was up each morning at 6.45 am, classic fm playing softly in the kitchen, coffee brewing, table set for breakfast, bird tables filled with nuts. She was very quiet, never disturbed anyone, and it was only when I arose myself was I aware that she was up and about. She's used to an early start and this is her routine, holidays or not. Sadly, they left last night and I miss her already. We've had good weather too and it looks set for a fine day today. We may visit some gardens later.

Mauri
It is nice to read of a man raised in my home town enjoying family meals at Easter in his 'main' dining room. I'm sure that, as I grew up, I must have met someone who lived in a house with a dining room. I probably just don't remember. My memories of family meals are of a maximum of four of us seated around a small table with an oil-cloth cover, waiting to be served our staple fare of spuds. Nowadays, though I have a greater choice - lounge-cum-diner - I sit in the kitchen. Alone. I COULD eat in the living-room, but it's further to carry the food, and more difficult to clean up. As you may have read, the wife has back problems, and my developing tremors don't help. I ate a small, delicious piece of chocolate egg IN BED. I was very careful to avoid making a mess. All said and done, I'm awake and ready for another day.

Ann, Glad you enjoyed your daughter's visit as I'm sure she did too, trouble is these visits always seem to go in too fast but trust you all had a Happy Easter.

Dabbler, I should have explained that we now live in a condo in a Senior's complex run by the International Order of Foresters, and that the dining room I referred to is a communal one and in fact there were some eighty people at the dinner who paid $15 a head which was quite reasonable for a three course meal with all the trimmings. They used to serve meals all the time but stopped it just after we moved in here for lack of business,so now they just have them on special occasions. We also have a gym, workshop, library and several lounges throughout the whole complex. We bought this place as my wife was having problems with the four flights of stairs in our house and although we are on the 5th floor we use an elevator.and then walk into the undercover parking lot.
Hope you and your wife are having a Happy Easter. Mauri

Mauri
Sounds brilliant. Long may you enjoy such luxury.
Did I ever tell you what a moaner I am? At my last place of work, I had an ongoing 'competition' with a Glaswegian as to who could tell the most harrowing tales of their upbringing. I was very excited when Charlie told me he boxed for Scotland. I still miss him.
Today, bright warm sunshine. I cut the grass before we went next door for a barbie. I was allowed a couple of beers. I enjoyed the craic with my son and daughter-in-law. Mostly about me in my role as the village idiot; one of the rare occasions I've seen the missus laugh in recent times. Well, I do sometimes have to be honest.LOL.

Dabbler, "eating a chocolate egg in bed". You're a big baby, as Judge Judy would say. It was a lovely day here on Easter Monday. We intended to drive to Newcastle but the long line of cars made us change our plans. We did a detour through Castlewellan, and headed for Rostrevor and the Fairy Glen. We stopped in Castlewellan and had an early lunch at a small cafe which had tables placed outside in the sunshine. It was very pleasant sitting in the sun being served lunch. The waiter even produced a bowl of water for Tess, without us even asking. Country people are very friendly in that way. An old man and his grandson were sitting beside us - locals. They started up a conversation with us, mostly about soccer, but it turned out that we have friends and relations in common. NI is a very small place. We reluctantly left Castlewellan and drove on to Rostrevor. It's as beautiful as ever and has more life in that small town than Lisburn ever will. I would always have loved to have lived in Rostrevor, but may forget that dream now. The Fairy Glen was holding a fete and we could hear music, but we decided to walk through the forest itself, which we did. We were both knackered at the end and were glad to get back to the car and head home. A different but very enjoyable Easter Monday.

Yesterday we had a visit from our/my wife's niece and her husband. For me, it was a fabulous day. We did nothing special; just talked, and lunched at a carvery. But I could sit and remember this fifty-year-old woman as a sweet little baby in my arms. Even more soppy, I thoroughly enjoyed a piece of the Easter cake that she baked and brought to us.I didn't bore them with my football stories. I hope I didn't bore them with my tales of her father's achievements long ago, before he became the shuffling old man he is today. I hope she was/is proud that her shuffling old dad was the fastest kid in town on a motorbike, that he bought a very early Triumph Bonneyville, and later put the powerful engine into a NORTON FEATHERBED frame.

My wife loved her little niece like one of our own. She enjoyed the day.

I even managed, despite two pints, to let our niece's husband tell his own interesting tales of life.

We look forward to their next visit.

Great stuff, Dabbler, Nothing like a good oul yarn with friends and relatives, a bit of food and a laugh. A tonic and better than any medicine.