Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
turning 80

i have just been informed by the DHSS that on reaching 80 in may i will have an increse of 25 pence a week from then,it would not even buy a box of matches now,just like £10 bonus at christmas that has never increased from it was introduced 22 years ago

Re: turning 80

Barney, I'm not sure I am aware of a £10 bonus at Christmas. I know we all get a winter fuel allowance of £200 per household, but I must check with the boss about the extra £10. He might owe me a fortune.

Barney, I hope you make it!

Hi Joe so glad to see you are still alive and kicking - I haven't been on the forum for a long time but thought I would have a look this evening. Have been to the old home town a few times since we last communicated and don't know if you recall Bobby Graham who was one of the trainers at Quay Street boxing club well he just passed away about two weeks ago. He suffered from dementia for many years and didn't know any members of the family but when I visited him in the care home with his daughter Eleanor he recognised me right away saying "we were a great team together". I also took some cuttings from the local paper which covered the weekly boxing shows we ran back in the 50's and he remembered all the boxers and their nicknames etc. strange isn't it!! Me and my wife are planning to go over again in May - on our last visit we called on Leo McCutcheon and Duggie Dowling - do you remember them?
As I said it's lovely to see you are still in there fighting!!

Billy, If it really is you, you will have known Thomas Cordner better than I did, as you were a long time member of the Quay. I was there only a short time. I sparred with Maurice (Deaky)Clark. I got interested through the TA in 1953. To avoid rifle drill, I joined the boxing teaam, sparred with a kid called Freddy Gillilan, fought and beat a boy called McNought, and was then stuck in with a man called MacTaggart, five times TA flyweight champion of the British Isles, and he humiliaated me. I staqyed on my feet for three rounds, but I think he let me.

Yes, I remember Dougie and Leo, both a year or two older than me, and, like everyone else, bigger.

It is nice to recall youth.I remember you well. You once told me that a mouth shield was made of gutaperka. I think that was more impressive than watching you fight - you invited me when we worked at Stewart's mill. I could reminisce all night.

Billy.
It was great to hear from a name I knew. As a lad, i had no idea you were adopted, though I do actually remember my father saying that YOUR dad had 'taken you on', and through your boxing, you had made him proud. I guess the conversation between our parents took place in a pub. I thought my old man drank too much. I now wish I could buy him a pint.
I didn't box enough to brag about it. Wish I had, for his sake. I did join Stanley Orr's gym in Chapel Hill, to restore my confidence after the TA, and beat some boy whose name has slipped from my memory.
I worked in No3 Spinning Room in 1950, when I was fourteen. I met you sometime in the following couple of years.

Barney
We used to get tax allowance for husband and wife. I have registered an interest in the new marriage tax allowance which is due to be introduced this year. Depending on income, one partner may use unused allowance of the other, up to a thousand pounds. At 20%, that would make me two hundred quid a year better off. I get the bonuses of which you speak, but claim no benefits. Could do with a bit of help really, what with me Parkinson's, and the wife never completely got over her cancer thingy. But there ye go - that's life.
Gotta keep that Trident sub safe, and them other fellas want us to plant more trees to hug.

Dabbler
Barney

We used to get tax allowance for husband and wife. I have registered an interest in the new marriage tax allowance which is due to be introduced this year. Depending on income, one partner may use unused allowance of the other, up to a thousand pounds. At 20%, that would make me two hundred quid a year better off. I get the bonuses of which you speak, but claim no benefits. Could do with a bit of help really, what with me Parkinson's, and the wife never completely got over her cancer thingy. But there ye go - that's life.

Gotta keep that Trident sub safe, and them other fellas want us to plant more trees to hug.

Hi Dabbler only thing i could advise you to do is apply for attendance allowance if you are not getting it ,maybe carers allowance also if not getting it either, better to call in and visit your local citizens advice centre and they will do a benefit check for you, just give them all your details and they will do the rest

Barney, I woke up middle of the night, checked in and found this. Sad to see that I am so misunderstood. I am not a carer. I do not even really need benefits, as they are euphemistically called. My little political rant was intended to be humorous, as indicated by the poor language.The bit about income tax is intended to educate.In my real everyday world, I have a twitchy finger, but otherwise maintain remarkably good health. I know almost as much about economics and finance as those whom you kindly advise me to consult. I admit to being naive about this site. I do not know who writes on here, but I am addicted to reading it. You seem to know people and places I knew long ago, and you are interested in the same sports as I am.
My lovely and much loved daughter-in-law leaves hospital tomorrow after a mastectomy. Today, as it is now morning.
The fact that I wake in the early hours and type such intimate details of my life indicates to me a screw loose, as old townies would say, but there are madder around. I also looked at Facebook, and learned that my niece, Aileen, whom I have never met, competes in a Triathlon in Auckland this weekend. Sorry Barney. My mind wanders.
Keep posting.

Dabbler, glad to hear that your daughter-in-law has had her surgery. I hope she recovers well. You old night roamer you - but you couldn't have done a better thing than come on to this site. Last night, past my bed-time, "Top of the Pops from 1964" came on TV. We both sat and watched the programme, reminiscing about our lives when the songs from that time were popular. I had only one child at the time. Funny how songs can immediately transport us back in time to former years. It was a very enjoyable programme to view before going to bed.

Ann, if it's after eight, I'm posting from bed.
In fact, my daughter, as I think of her, did not come home till today; and had to speak to us through the window to avoid germs - Mrs has had gastroenteritis. That also means everything in both our homes slows down. My missus is the engine.

Dabbler, I agree that the mother is the engine in all homes. It's a big responsibility, not always appreciated.

~Ann
i am not sure that applies to ALL households, but we can only say what we truthfully believe.