Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mauri

Mauri,

You haven't been on the Forum lately, sincerely hope you & Joy are alright & we will hear from you again soon.

Also Beano & Doreen are in my thoughts too.

Pat?

Re: Mauri

Pat, Thank you for asking re Joy and myself, Yes we are both fine I'm just not able to join in the small talk re Lisburn, Hilden etc. Reminds me of one time I was in Lisburn after a long absence and stood at the Bank Corner of Railway St and Market Square just to watch the people go by and never saw one I reconized.
At long last our severe cold spell has ended and today a pleasant 7oC and nice and sunny and the snow fast disappearing. I pity the folks in the Eastern part of the country though on top of the record snowfalls they have been having just had another blizzard they will really be looking forward to the spring.nearly as bad out West as well except for Vancouver where they are basking in warm sunshine and have had practilly no snow in British Columbia this winter which has meant a big financial loss to the people who run the ski slopes. Happy St Patricks Day to everyone. Mauri

Mauri, nice to see you back on. I agree that sometimes we Low Road and Hilden people seem to hog the Forum, but it's just because others don't come on.

Mauri,

I am just back online after holidaying with Bronagh & son Joseph, now 10 years old, home from Canada, for a break from the snow. Luckily the weather here was marvellous the whole time she was here & we had a lovely time with the extended family visiting.

She flew Aer Lingus from Pearson but had to return via Boston, which was a bit of a nuisance & the flights were to & from Dublin. The internal ones to Shannon don't start until end of April or so.

We are booked for Nerja Spain, with the son & his wife, again this year,so looking forward to sun & relaxation in May.

Delighted to hear your & Joy are well,& hope you are back online soon, also Beano. We miss the old friends.

Pat

Pat, Have had the computer in for servicing to get rid of the scam ads that kept popping up. Glad to hear you had a nice vacation visit from Bronogh and grandson, its always nice to have family reunions.
What a terrible disaster that German plane crash was, hard to believe that anybody could do such a thing the Captain of the aircraft must have been going out of his mind trying to get back into the cockpit not to mention the people watching him.
I remember one time back in the 79s my wife and myself had been on a visit to Lisburn and were flying out of Aldergrove for Liverpool, we were no sooner Airborne when the Pilot announced they had received a warning that there was a bomb on board and were going to land immediatley in the Isle of Man, which we did and evacuated the aircraft,after a thorough search it was announded that it had been a prank false alarm so we returned to the aircraft and flew on to Liverpool. To say we got a thrill would be putting it mildly. Mauri

Mauri,

My own computer has been off lately too but due to a fault in our area, which we were not aware of & now high winds are interrupting service today.

The air disaster was horrendous, especially as there was no mechanical or other reason for it. Pilots in now will have to be monitored carefully for physical & especially mental health.

I hear that 2 persons will in future always be present in the cockpit. Comforting to hear as you would be inclined to worry if the pilot appeared in the aisle.

Cheap flight airlines will be out in my plan for future trips as the best pilots will work for the best money that good airlines will provide. Less travel, reliable airlines, more safety. You only live once!!

If I had have had your experience I doubt if I would have flew in a plane again, but who knows what one has to do in an emergency.??

Very stormy here today with frequent cold showers & one of my daughters flies in from England this late afternoon, so hopefully the day will improve by then. She is like myself, a bundle of nerves in a testy situation.

Pat

Pat

Nerja is a favourite of mine my cousin has an apartment in El Morche have you been up in the hills to Frigliana what a beautiful village.
Competa is another beautiful spot.

Gordon,

I agree with you, once we visited we just had to go back especially as the sun is guaranteed & the food is excellent & the people very friendly.

We stay near the centre of things within walking distance of everything. A great resort for anyone, the younger set have their own area out of town a bit, we never heard any loud music or late revellers.

A favourite place indeed, as is Santiago de Ribera, another special spot. Visiting Frigliana for the wine this year is a must, also will be Competa. Hope my feet last the pace in the heat.

Roll on May & the sun which is guaranteed in Nerja.

Pat

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/british-couple-shot-dead-in-alicante-villa-near-benidorm-found-locked-into-each-others-arms-31104875.html

After reading this in the Belfast Tele I prefer to stay in the Vaterland.
My brother and his wife are there at present, I rang to make sure it wasn´t them.
donald

Donald, so Eamon is enjoying a holiday at present. I wondered where he'd got to. Hope he enjoys what's left of it. We are booked for Donegal in June. We won't leave Tess, our wee dog, so where we goes she goes. That means holidaying wherever we can bring her with us. In this case, and this year, that means Donegal. We could have horrendous weather or, hopefully, beautiful sunny days. I'm an optimist so I think of the latter. Change of scene, that's the main thing.