Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hilden Mill fire

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news/local-news/hilden-mill-gutted-in-ferocious-blaze-1-6628584

Read this in the Star just now, it brought tears to my eyes, Hilden mill was part of our growing up, the "wee park, EMB, Hilden school and last not least working there.
donald

Re: Hilden Mill fire

Donald, I live in Lisburn and didn't even hear about the Hilden Mill fire until yesterday when I was speaking to a colleague who used to work with me in the Research Dept in Barbours. So sad these vandals who have no respect for historic buildings, although I'm sure they have no respect anything, including themselves. What way are they brought up? They definitely were not born and bred in Lisburn, or had relatives employed in the Mill, or they would have had a healthy respect for the Mill and its buildings. Always makes me feel nostalgic walking down the line, seeing the old mill, the school, Hilden Park and remembering my childhood involving all these places.

Re: Hilden Mill fire

Donald & aLL.

Everything comes to an end, even Hilden Mill.

Remember the curse put on it in by a wronged poor working woman.

I told the story in a post before about the sacked unfortunate lady standing in the yard & cursing "Before 100 years grass will be growing in this Mill Yard."

My Grandmother told us the tale when she was old & we were all working in the Mill & we thought it would impossible Hilden ever would be gone from Lisburn.

Pat