Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FRIARS BUSH GRAVE YARD STRANMILLIS ROAD BELFST

http://watchinghorrorfilmsfrombehindthecouch.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/friars-bush-cemetery.html

Re: FRIARS BUSH GRAVE YARD STRANMILLIS ROAD BELFST

About 10 years ago a friend had a friend who lived in the caretakers house there and he arranged for us to have a walk around. It was very impressive , famous locals like Barney Hughes the bakery owner for example are interred there
donald

Donald, very interesting about Barney Hughes being buried there. I think we used to get our bread from him. Donald, is there anywhere you haven't been?

" Barney Hughes bread,

sticks to your belly like lead,

not a bit of wonder,

you f++t like thunder,

after eating Barney Hughes bread"!

http://www.ulsterhistory.co.uk/hughesbarney.htm

Ann

remember that one? His baps were great. Alexander Irvine wrote in his book " My Lady of the Chimney Corner " about Barney Hughes bread carts passing through Antrim early each morning on their way to Ballymena loaded with bread.

donald

Ann
when I worked in Mackies in the 60s there was a large bakery called Hughes beside it I wonder if that was the same company?
donald

Hi Donald

Yes you are right , this is the same bakery .

hope all are well !

tommy

Donald, somehow managed to delete my reply there. What I had said was that my granny got her bread from Hughes bread van. I loved the "stomach" (spice) cakes and always had one smothered in butter and washed down with a big glass of thick buttermilk. I don't think I could drink the buttermilk now, though, but in those days it was great stuff, lumps and all.

Ann
here in the Vaterland stomach cakes are still available. They are called Leibkuchen ( Leib is body or stomach ) here. Is it possible they mean the same ? As a child in the late 40s our mother used to occasionally when she could afford to buy us one in the cake shop facing the Nicholson statue. They are produced and sold here around Xmas. Flat and spicy, originally from Nuremberg My grandfather used to talk about a glass of "Selters" when he wanted a drink of mineral water. That is a German Company who still produce it today.donald

Donald & Ann,

I saw a mix for Spice Cakes in Lidl's or Aldi's & bought it. Last Saturday I thought I would bake & promptly forgot about the cakes in the the oven, until I smelt the spice.

Unfortunately they were too hard, could only nibble the edges, but they would have been nice. I will look out for the mix again.

I loved the spice cakes too, but soft ones from Barney Hughes, Jimmy was our breadman, he carried in a tray full of fresh bread every morning, currant buns & scones, malt loaves, plain & fruit ones, barm bracks, spice cakes, sodas, wheaten potato & pancakes, very hard not to buy them all.

Ahh.... those were the days of wine & roses & spice cakes.

Pat

Donald, interesting that the spice cakes are still available in Germany. They must be popular there. I would love to taste one again. Maybe I'll follow Pat's lead and buy the mix.

Ann
They are mostly on sale here shortly before Xmas. They originated in Nurnenberg and are called Lebkuchen. Translated that means gingerbread, = cakes containing ginger and molasses. I still remember our mum when she had a pittance over stopping at the bakery beside Smyth Patterson, facing the Nicholson Monument and purchasing one to be divided between my brother and me. I am convinced they are German origin, because Leib means in German stomach or body.
donald

Donald, Our late friend Walter Tschiesche used to bring us some black bread (as he called it) when he went home to Germany. He said they had it at Christmas and New Year.I loved it, it was just like the stomach cakes we used to get right enough. Pamela

Pamela
that could have been Dresden Stolle another traditional cake filled with currants,figs and raisins available at Xmas, sorry I should have said Christmas.
donald

Ann I think if you try Jeffers the one facing Nicolson (see Donald)and I am almost sure they have them, they taste of Cinnamon and other spices they are quite large and I am quite partial to the odd one .By the way Donald Nicolson isn't there at the moment owing to ongoing roadworks .
Regards Ted

Ted, thanks for that. Will try Jeffers for the spice cakes.