Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring in the air

Spring is definitely on it´s way here in Munich. Yesterday herself and I , together with Kilian and his mum went to our local Greek Tavern for lunch and sat outside with the sun beaming down. Today I was able to hang the washing out on the garden clothes line. Up until now since Halloween we have had to use the cellar or the dryer for it. The Biergarten season is also opening and I saw the first mackerel grill in the parking area of our local supermarket. They were selling grilled mackerel 1kilo for €19,99!!!! When I think we used to regard them as food for the cat. Herrings are also back on the market last week I bought 8 they were on offer 1kilo €12,99. Remember the time when the fish seller came around with his horse and cart selling them a dozen for half a crown.
donald

Re: Spring in the air

Donald remember the fish seller well it was paddy elmore . the well known saying at the time was, paddy elmore sells fish 3 halfpennys a dish.

Danny
there were two Elmores, Felix and Paddy. Felix was beside JC Patterson and Paddy beside Duncan´s clothes shop. I think they were brothers but Ted would know more. The mobile fish sellers came from Ardglass mostly but occasionally one or two selling Pollen ( Fresh water herrings ) came from around the Lough Neagh area
donald

Donald, glad to hear spring has sprung in your part of the world. Our weather is lovely at present too; a wee bit cooler today. We actually sat out on the deck yesterday trying to soak up a few rays in the early spring sunshine. Just back from walking Tess and, as I say, sunny but cool.

Donald,.

Hope to be in Kilkee at the holiday so fresh caught fish. will be on the menu.
Nothing more delicious with fresh vegetables & potatoes. Yummy....... The Strand or the Golf Club recommended or Carrighaholt where the fish is caught.

Place will be packed for the holiday. Spring is definitely here, daffodils galore.

Pat

I was in Tescos yesterday and the shop was coming down with flowers. Big floral bouquets, mixed bunches, roses, irises, chrysanthemums and more than I could mention. I bought some beautiful pink roses and tubs of primroses to place on the graves for Mothering Sunday. It's the least we can do for all the care and love shown to us over the years. Even my granny's grave will have flowers placed as we are the only relatives living here now who are able to do so. I must say our cemetery looks wonderful because of the work carried out over the last couple of years. The paths are clear and well marked and people appear to look after their graves now, probably because the cemetery itself is so tidy.