Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A walk up the loneys

Yesterday was a sunny day so we decided to take Tess down the line for a change. We parked near Hilden School and headed down the towpath towards Lisburn. The line has been tidied up, grass cut and trees trimmed. When we came to the loneys, usually impassable, I had a look and saw that we could actually take a dander up there. It was a nice change, viewing the old mill from a different angle and seeing the houses in Tullynacross from a good vantage point. We walked and walked and Tess fairly flew along. Then we came to one of the Simpsons, who was out with his tractor. I asked if we could get past and he gave us the OK. However, talk about brambles. Luckily, Dominic had a walking stick and was able to thrash and beat the brambles down. Tess couldn't manage the thorns so I had to carry her, stumbling along as best I could. We eventually reached the end of the loneys, my trousers plucked and the worse for wear. But, we both enjoyed the walk.

Re: A walk up the loneys

Just in case you wondered, I finished off quite abruptly because I was apprehensive about being spammed. As you can see, I wasn't.

Ann
did you walk up Kelly's Hill?
That is the first lane at the end of the Netting. I remember Jemmy Mateer and his sister Annie living up there. They kept goats and hens. My uncle Ned bought eggs from them. Turning right at the top of the lane brought you to Down Villas, such a posh name for such hovels. There was a pump there and all the houses surrounding got their drinking water. The lady, Madge Leathem who lived in the end house kept a drinking glass for passers by who wanted to quench their thirst.
Almost 70 yeas ago.
donald

Donald The Loneys ! There's a blast from the past I remember them well and Annie and Jimmy as well, I remember her walking up the far side of the road to Mass regularly sometimes with my Aunt Laura Donald were they both still alive when the cottage burned down or were did they go after that ?
The loneys were always a great dander on a Sunday evening and of course you didn't need cash as there were no shops ,I have made up my mind I must walk up the tow path again passed the netting and John Mc Pollands lock's and on to the Point one more time anyhow just to see what's left .
Regards Ted

Ted
Are you not confusing their cottage with the two small cottages beside them? My maternal grandparents , also Mateer lived in one of them and the one next door caught fire and both were burned down. Until they got a house in Bridge St, Hilden they lived for a short time in my Uncle Ned´s shed at the Locks. I remember Annie died first and Jemmy lived for a while alone there. After his death the local men met there and talked. Us boys sometimes went but were chased by them.
I remember he kept his goats in a small field beside Down Villas which was I think owned by a spinster who lived in Lagan Terrace. Magee?
The Loneys was a great courting place.
donald

Donald, we went up the first loney just past the Netting. I didn't even know it was called Kelly's Hill. There was another big hill called McConnell's Hill but that would have been further along the towpath. Going past McConnell's Hill, now unrecognisable, I often try to see the wee footpath where everyone walked along. It was well worn by wear, but there's absolutely no sign of it now, not even a hint. Just shows what the years, and lack of use, can do to what was once a favourite haunt of everyone in the Low Road and Hilden. I can remember at the weekend, on a good Sunday afternoon, McConnell's Hill would have been packed with couples sitting in the sun. Yesterday, we passed what was once your Uncle Ned's cottage. Ted, we often go down the line in the better weather and the Point is still there. Great for reminiscing, especially the old Mill and the school, of course. Wish I could turn the clock back.

Donald, I remember the Leathem family who lived there. The mother had bright ginger hair. I think Seamus Murray and his wife lived there at one time too. I always thought the row of houses facing onto the Lagan were lovely. They had small front gardens and nice gates and railings. Always appeared to be kept beautifully. Alice Porter and her husband lived there at one time. Where our house was in Huguenot Drive, we looked right onto them, across the Lagan of course. At one time the line was a hive of activity, mainly because of the mill. It was never empty of people, workers going to different shifts, morning and evening. The crowds came from the Co Down, Hillhall, the Low Road, nearly everywhere in the town.

Ann
McConnells hill was facing your family home, When I was living at the Locks the Rickert and another family lived there. Do you remember the night the houses went on fire? Mrs Rickert only passed away a short time ago, I was visiting our family grave in Holy Trinity a year or so ago and saw that she had been recently interred. The twins,Terence and Brigid both were in my Hilden school class
donald

Now, can anyone tell me why "the line" is named "the line". People nowadays would look at you if you said you were going down the line. When it's explained to them what is meant they say "Oh, you mean the towpath". SO, why is "the line" given that name. Donald and Low Roader - I believe one of you will tell me. I'm really interested to know. If you can't tell me, I'll have to go further afield as it's really puzzling me now. I'm away for the rest of the day - hairdresser's first and then ------ who knows?

Ann.
It is so named while it follows the line of the old Lagan Canal.
Enjoy your visit to the hairdressers, I said before here God made us males all beautiful so we do not need beauty farms or cosmetic studios. Herself decided to go yesterday to have her hair done.
donald

Ann
Donald, I remember the Leathem family who lived there. The mother had bright ginger hair. I think Seamus Murray and his wife lived there at one time too. I always thought the row of houses facing onto the Lagan were lovely. They had small front gardens and nice gates and railings. Always appeared to be kept beautifully. Alice Porter and her husband lived there at one time. Where our house was in Huguenot Drive, we looked right onto them, across the Lagan of course. At one time the line was a hive of activity, mainly because of the mill. It was never empty of people, workers going to different shifts, morning and evening. The crowds came from the Co Down, Hillhall, the Low Road, nearly everywhere in the town.

Ann
those houses had a spring at the back which was used as drinking water. There was always a small trout kept in it as apparently that kept the water clean. Over 43 years ago we were driving home from Munich for a holiday and drove down from Dover to Holyhead to get the ferry to Dunleary. We called into the British Legion in Holyhead as we had a few hours to wait. A chap sitting at the next table heard our norniron dialect and came over and asked if anyone was there from Lisburn. It turned out he was an ex soldier who when stationed in Thepvial met and married Alice Porter and had returned to his home in Holyhead.

What a small world we live in.

donald

Memories Memories........My first memory of the line is every childhood Easter, going over to Mc Connell's Hill, to trundle our eggs down the steep (as we thought then) Hill, fearful of losing them sliding over into the Lagan. The Hill would be packed with families sitting on rugs in the sun chatting & children playing & enjoying the chocolate eggs & lemonade. Great Days.

Later it was playing at the Wee Pool with spricking nets in Summer, walking barefoot to the Overfalls, a daring deed indeed for us, with the foam swirling around our legs. Some of the boys even walked up the Falls slithering & sliding, but not the girls.

Later it was, as Donald says, the favourite walking spot with girlfriend or boyfriend for us Lowroaders, starting at the 41's or Grove St steps, on to Hilden, Lambeg & back by the Lonies. The line was a busy place then.

Pity it went out of fashion as it was a magic place.

Pat

Pat
Our Aunt Nellie took us to "trundle" our eggs at Easter to the Castle Gardens. On the small hill beside the cannon we rolled them down. A week before she took us over the "lonies" to gather whinns to colour the eggs yellow and some were boiled in the teapot to make them brown.
donald

Donald and Pat, I remember trundling my egg down the big hill in Delacherois Avenue. That was long before any houses were built there of course. My own children were either taken to the Castle Gardens or Wallace Park.

Donald, if I remember correctly, Terence Rickard was a devil of a youngster. Was he around your age?

Ann
Donald, if I remember correctly, Terence Rickard was a devil of a youngster. Was he around your age?

Ann
we shared a desk in Miss Skanell´s Junior Infants class in 1949. My aunt Nellie got out of work to bring me down to school on my first day. She promised she would stay with me and when she left to go back to work I started to weep. Miss Skanell placed me beside Terence as we had known each other from the Locks and I still remember his fantastic yarns. We moved up through classes together. One of his jobs was to take Mrs Woodende´s bicycle at the school gate upon her arrival daily and place it in a storage shed beside the boys toilets. Sometimes he would disappear from class and go for a short ride with it for which he got caned. Another time he lit a firework in the classroom and when throwing it out through the open window it bounced back and exploded in the classroom which got him punished again. He was always fooling around but was in no way cruel or bad mannered. He was a very intelligent person but preferred to act the fool than to apply himself to his learning.
Last I heard of him he was managing a musical group.about 50 years ago.
donald

Donald, my oldest son was a "devil" in school too. Clowning around, making mischief of which I was oblivious until recent years when he told us of all the things he had done. If I had known the half of it he would have had a sore bottom, well, more than he normally had. I have to say he's the only one of my children who takes after me - good or what?