Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Early TV

How many of you remember seeing TV for the first time, I first watched it in a bar in George St Sydney Australia in 1956 they had put the TV set on a shelf behind the bar and it sure attracted a lot of attention.I always remember the first show I saw on it was called the Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford.

The next time I saw a TV show was in Vancouver where I had disembarked from the ship in which I had travelled on as a passenger from Australia as my USA visa had not yet come through.While looking for a job in Vancouver I stayed in a boarding house and they had a new TV although the screens were a lot smaller then.
I first saw it in Northern Ireland in January 1958 when I few over from Florida where I was stationed for the funeral of a family member,though if memory serves me right it was only on for a few hours per day and again had only a little screen. I got a job on Vancouver Island handling small tug boats and passenger launches taking longshoremen out to the dock to unload timber ships, unfortunately the accomadation a small apartment that went with the job had no TV and I wouldn`t buy one as I had no intention of staying but would be leaving as soon as my US Visa came through which it did after a month or so. Mauri

Re: Early TV

Mauri,

Our first T.V. was bought from Joe's brother & his wife who were emigrating to Australia in the 5o's. It was a big cabinet affair with 2 doors that opened onto a small screen. We thought it was a lovely piece of furniture.

As no one in our family & friends had a T.V. any time a big Match was on the house was full. My job was to feed the crowd with sandwiches & Guinness. Great days, as soon as the Match ended all went home happy, to dinner or tea.

Now everyone has a bigger & better T.V. than us, time brings many changes, we no longer watch much Television, except in the evenings in Winter, the new gadget is Mobile Phones.

PAT

Re: Early TV

I remember our first TV in the late 1950s , when I was still at home and unmarried. I didn't know my parents were getting a television at all. One evening, as I passed by the hedge surrounding our garden, I noticed a blueish light coming from the living room. I soon discovered it was a brand new TV. I used to love watching Australian Walkabout, which was on in the evenings. Come Dancing was another favourite, also I love Lucy and Sgt Bilko. Loads of others which I've now forgotten. Saturday was sports day, as was Wednesday nights. That's why I hate sport now. Having said that, I was a good wee runner.