Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Video killed the radio star

You can't say that about Radio Ulster. They had a new star on Saturday by the name of Ann. Sounding good girl, and that was a nice thing to say about the young man from Tigers Bay. I hope he was listening. Pam

Re: Video killed the radio star

Pamela,

She in everything, watch out on T.V. next!!!!!

Pat

Pamela, it was on Friday. Yes, they were discussing Carl Frampton on the programme and the fact that he came from Tiger's Bay in Belfast, which would be classed as a ghetto I suppose. I was telling my experience of having a dancing partner who was from Tiger's Bay. A nicer, better-mannered boy you wouldn't have met. His fiancée wasn't a dancer, neither was Dominic. I attended Osborne's and so did he. We became partners and every week, after the class was finished, he saw me safely over to the GNR station. Just shows that decent people can come from all areas.

Here Here Ann, I agree. Pam Pat, A star is born comes to mind, Ha! Ha! Cheers Pamela. (do you remember me? Pat Sheridan's sister?)

Hi Pam' Regarding Pat I Remember her well in our youth she use to swim in Gordon's pool with the rest of us ' and we all enjoyed a time of pure innocence and laughter and correct me if I'm wrong but her friend was a girl called Margaret Toman and the last time I meet her was at my Aunt Eveleen's Kennan,s wake Pam the battery is going Regards Ted

Pamela,

Of course I remember you & Pat.

I almost became related to you once upon a time?????? You were a lovey girl then, haven't seen you for years, but beauty lasts....?

Pat

Pat, Thanks for the compliment, every little bit helps......Tell me more of the story about nearly being related to me. That would have been very nice, by the way. Pam

Ted, You are nearly right, it was Margaret Freeman and Nell Toman. Speaking of your Aunt Eveleen she was a very good friend of our family. I will tell you a wee story about that next time we meet, I always put a flower on her grave for cemetery Sunday. I miss all the old ones from Hilden. Pamela

Hi Pam Of course you are right it was Margaret Freeman I am afraid this memory of mine is starting to give concern ,thank again for correcting me and am looking forward to running into you sometime and doing a bit of name dropping of bygone friends . Regards Ted

Pamela
Ted, You are nearly right, it was Margaret Freeman and Nell Toman. Speaking of your Aunt Eveleen she was a very good friend of our family. I will tell you a wee story about that next time we meet, I always put a flower on her grave for cemetery Sunday. I miss all the old ones from Hilden. Pamela

I remember both ladies, Margaret Freeman had a brother named Billy, they lived in Richenson´s Row in Hilden. Nell Tomann was a nurse in England and only came home on occasions for holidays. Her brother ( Pat? ) was a soldier also stationed in England, both were quiet people and always walked very upright. Someone told me that they once had a small shop in their front parlour but that was before my time. Bleakley at the top of Mill St. was the shopkeeper after.
donald

Donald,
I well remember Toman's shop in the front row.

Jim McCann died today aged 70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LN3BsN1Vc

Brendan, haven't look up U Tube, so I have to ask you who Jim McCann is.

Low Roader
Donald,

I well remember Toman's shop in the front row.

Lowroader
I came to Hilden after my mother´s death in 1949 and only remember going to Bleakley´s shop at the top of Mill St with a ration book very occasionally for sweets. Cigarettes were also rationed then as was sugar and other imported goods.I think rationing in UK continued until 1952. Funny, but Germany who lost the war stopped rationing earlier according to newspaper reports.
Mr Tomann was a soldier and he was the park ranger in Hilden park in the 50s. After he retired my grandfather Tommy Watters got the job
donald

Pamela
Pat, Thanks for the compliment, every little bit helps......Tell me more of the story about nearly being related to me. That would have been very nice, by the way. Pam

Pamela,

Didn't you once keep company with my cousin.? Pat

ann,
jim mccann was for a lot of years part of the dubliners folk group.
he sang a lot of good songs, but his version of '' carrickfergus '' is probably the best known tom

Jim Mc Cann was one of our favourite singers of ballads, he is wonderful singing "Grace". He had soul, a nice person. R.I.P.

Pat

Pat, I must be doting, how could I not make the connection between you and the lovely Paul. I knew he and Ann were cousins, but when you said about you and I were nearly related I didn't join the dots. What am I like????? Cheers my nearly cousin-in-law. Pamela.

Donald, It was Margaret Toman was the nurse, not Nell.There were seven of the Toman boys in the Navy during WW2 and thank God all returned home safe and sound. there were eight boys and four girls in their family. The youngest boy Gerald and his sister Mary went to America, one time their Mother Kitty went to see them. She was an old lady then and we couldn't wait to here what she thought of America. What she said has stuck in my mind ever since, she said it was just bricks and mortar like every where else. Out of the mouths of babes and old people. Ha! Ha! That brought the great US of A down to size.Pamela.

Pamela, "out of the mouths of babes and old people" makes me think of someone who came to visit my granny. This lady was home from America on holiday and had previously lived in Lisburn. She was a friend of one of my aunts. When she saw my granny sitting in the armchair, in her long black clothes and shawl round her shoulders, she exclaimed, "Oh, Mrs McKeown, there's no old people in America you know." What she meant was that no-one in America dressed like an old person. Quick as a flash my granny laughingly retorted, "What do they do over there, shoot them?" We always laugh about that.