Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Cure

This was posted in the other bit by mistake.
The mistake was caused by my absolute disgust at a post by Anne.
(that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!!!!!!!)

When I was a lad my mammy had the cure for a dropped palate.
Another lady in the street had the cure for styes and yet another had the cure for headaches, I think.
Does anyone else remember these medical "miracle workers"?

Re: The Cure

Lorwoader
Mrs Lyness who lived next door to us in Mill St. was renowned all over Lisburn for her powers to "charm warts and styes" She removed her wedding ring and rubbed the inflicted part with it, you were not allowed to thank her as that prevented the cure from taking effect.
donald

I remember Mrs. Gorman (Ned's Mother) had a cure for sprained ankles.

Pat

Hi all. Dominic's aunt's cure for warts was to wash the wart in sea water and then the tide would take it away. When my nose bleed, which it did frequently, my mother put a large key at the back of my neck.

years ago living in mckeown street,aged about 10 or eleven i fell of the coal shed roof and really sprained my ankle. my granny had a friend lived in harmony hill irwin, i think who was noted as a ''charmer''.
so off went granny with me hobbling alongside to harmony hill.
she had a basin of luke warm water and massaged my ankle and was humming and reciting something.
well, it worked, not immediately, but walked home better and it cleared up very quickly. true story, so who knows? tom

Lowroader
a very frequent Lisburn complaint which we forgot to mention here was thirst and the cure was to be had in Corkins,Mooneys or Tam Browns.
donald