Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thieval Barracks

I wonder how many of you remember Thieval barracks being built,? very few I would think. The barracks was completed just before the second world war and I remember the first Army Personnel arriving there. My Grandfather who was a joiner helped build it after working on the BBC building at Blaris.
Later on in the war when I working as a telegram boy in the Post Office I would often have telegrams to be delivered to Thieval we just used to sail right through the gates being waved in by the Military Policeman on duty
In the early days quite often there would be a military band leading a battilion of troops on a route march through the town and I specifically remember the Royal Welch Fusiliers being lead by a soldier leading the battilion mascot which was a nanny goat. Memories. Mauri

Re: Thiepval Barracks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiepval_Barracks

Dabbler,
The father of your boyhood friend, Patsy "wobbler " Bradley was Clerk of Works on the Thiepval building site.He was responsible for the recruitment of the labour force and ensured that as many as possible locals were given employment.

The barracks are named after the village of Thiepval in Northern France, an important site in the Battle of the Somme and site of the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme.

It is spelt Thiepval and not Thieval
donald

This is astonishingly detailed information, thanks. My uncle, John Hamilton, Antrim Place, Dunkirk veteran, worked there as a gardener.

Thiepval Barracks still stands and remains the Army Headquarters for NI. My own father worked in Thiepval and quite a lot of Lisburn people are still employed there. As for myself, I attended twice for interviews and was unsuccessful, even though I had more than the qualifications required. From the back of our house we can see part of the Thiepval Barracks and on Guy Fawkes night we enjoy the fireworks from the kitchen window.

Thieval-Thiepval, Who cares that the P was accidently left out. §everal years ago while visiting Lisburn we took a coach tour from Belfast to Paris France and on the return journey we visited some of the battlefields of the First World War, among them being Thiepval where we visited the Ulster Tower and another building full of relics from the war. we also visited the site where the Royal Newfoumdland Regiment took a severe mauling though I cannot remember the name of it but it sure was interesting to be able also to walk in some of the trenches etc. Mauri

Thieval-Thiepval, Who cares that the P was accidently left out.

Who started the "bean counting" with a reply to a comment about the price of a soldier?