Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Local Footballers

Did any Lisbur men play in England?

Re: Local Footballers

jimmy mcilroy
George elder

gregg st boy
jimmy mcilroy

George elder

Jim McMaster
Alex Elder
Brendan Matier

but to mention but a few
donald

donald
gregg st boy
jimmy mcilroy

George elder

gerry matier??
the brothers from lambeg blanchflowers

Jim McMaster

Alex Elder

Brendan Matier

but to mention but a few

donald

i got mixed up between ireland nr ireland and england
there was another whose father was a schoolmaster who lived in a road running between antrim raod and maghralave rd,****ed if i can remember those names now well its a post anyway lol

Dabbler, While the players mentioned did play in England I am not sure about Brenda Matier, I know his brother Jerry played for Blackburn Rovers but never knew that Brendan played soccer, I know he was a great dancer, he worked with me as a telegram boy in the Post Office during the war.
I think another old friend of mine Billy Shields from Warren Gardens went over to Scotland for a trial with Aberdeen but broke his leg during the trial game and as far as I know that was the end of that. Mauri

Thanks for the feedback, boys. Not sure if the info is all genuine, but I got a laugh at the comments.

Henry (Tucker) Orr from East Down View went to one of the Sheffield clubs from Distillery.
I must say that I do not remember any Blanchflowers in Lambeg.
Albert McMaster played for Hamilton Accies in Scotland (or was it Airdieonians?)

Lowroader
Danny Blanchflower was born in Belfast and served an apprenticeship in Gallaghers,he played for Glentoran, Barnsley and Aston Villa. His brother Jackie played for Manchester and was involved in the Munich air disaster in 1958. His mother Selina also played for a womens football team.
donald

LowRoader
Henry (Tucker) Orr from East Down View went to one of the Sheffield clubs from Distillery.

I must say that I do not remember any Blanchflowers in Lambeg.

Albert McMaster played for Hamilton Accies in Scotland (or was it Airdieonians?)

my mistake there

Can anyone remember Francie Watters from Leamington who played football for Distillery? His brother Ginger was an excellent boxer. There was another brother Jimmy who was a good snooker player I remember their father John, always well dressed with a "duncher" and Burberry who walked with a slight limp and used a cane.
donald

donald
Can anyone remember Francie Watters from Leamington who played football for Distillery? His brother Ginger was an excellent boxer. There was another brother Jimmy who was a good snooker player I remember their father John, always well dressed with a "duncher" and Burberry who walked with a slight limp and used a cane.

donald

i remamber frakn think he married teresa duffy from chapel hill

Francie or Panky as I knew him played centre half for Distillery and was "capped" at amateur level. I don;t think he ever turned pro as he played in the summer Charity cup competition at Hilden Rec's ground.

Low Roader
Francie or Panky as I knew him played centre half for Distillery and was "capped" at amateur level. I don;t think he ever turned pro as he played in the summer Charity cup competition at Hilden Rec's ground.

Lowroader
Welcome back, do you remember which team Jim McMaster played football for? I can only remember he was "capped" many times as a player for the NI Youth team.
donald

Donald,
I don't remember Jim ever playing outside NI.
I was long left home when he was playing. I believe he played for one of the Linfield teams. Beano would be more knowledgeable than me. I do know that he became a church minister.
Sorry I cannot be more forthcoming. I trust you and yours are well.

I know nothing about football players, nor do I want to. However, talking about Jim McMaster, I always picture Jim in his BB outfit on a Sunday. I would be standing at my granny's gate and Jim and another young fella whose name I cannot now remember used to walk up the Low Road together in their dark blue uniforms. The other fella's parents had a small shop, run from the house, but I forget their name.

I see Ella now and again and I think she told me Jim had retired now. Ella's son, David, is a minister also. Last time I spoke to Jim was in Marks & Spencer ages ago.

I remember the waters they lived a few doors from my grannie in lamington place

I believe Jim Emery played in England before becoming a scout. Long time ago.